Thursday, August 16, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Electric Outboards?

 

Yes, I've heard that too.  Of course, it would be interesting to hear the context - was it on an inland lake, or out in open conditions with current and large waves?
 
I can tell you my Atomic 4 gas engine with 30HP is wayyy more than I need on the lake.  I cruise at 5-6mph with the throttle very low.  And I have to take it out of gear in the marina to slow down enough when I'm nearing my slip (and still hit reverse to stop).
 
John

From: Ken Nitchie <knitchie@comcast.net>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 4:15 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Electric Outboards?

 
I have no opinion or stats to share, but have heard from Catalina 30 owners with an 11hp inboard diesel that it is under powered and many upgraded to a larger aux.  

Ken - Obsession
'78 C30 TRBS #0973
Lake Champlain, VT

 
Thankfully, I'm on an inland lake - so I don't have to worry about BIG waves.  I suspect that I'd be ok once I get going.  The thing I'm concerned about most is if a 5HP outboard has enough power to pull me out of the slip and maintain steerage in reverse into a 20mph wind when I'm trying to back out of the slip.
 
John

From: Kevin Pemberton <pembertonkevin@gmail.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2012 1:52 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Electric Outboards?

 
Hi John,

Myles has done this and there are other sites on the net.

What you will need is a long(sail shaft) outboard. I mounted an outboard on a catalina 30. The only way I could keep the prop in the water was with a special mount to connect the dink to push the Catalina.  I would suggest an inboard solution to avoid the problems you will have in heavy water.

On 08/10/2012 09:39 AM, Steve wrote:
 
The Torqeedo 2.0 cruise would push a Catalina 30 just fine. We have one on a 22 foot duffy cruiser gets us around at 6 knots cruise all day on 5 x 6volt johnson wet cells.

Steve

--- In mailto:electricboats%40yahoogroups.com, "john" mailto:oak_box@... wrote:
>
> Are there any electric outboards out there that have more than the 5HP equivalent? For example, anything that could push a Catalina 30?
>
> Are there any directions for taking an old 20HP outboard, removing the gas powerhead, and replacing it with an electric motor and controller?
>
> Thanks!
> John
>







__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment