Saturday, August 18, 2012

[Electric Boats] Re: Electric Outboards?

 

http://www.all4solar.com.au/

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "luv2bsailin" <luv2bsailin@...> wrote:
>
> John,
> I really don't think you'd be happy with any of the electric outboards on the market. Sure you could motor along in mild conditions, but for situations like backing into a 20MPH wind that you mentioned I think you'd be underpowered. Keep in mind you have a lot of windage from the hull and rig to overcome, besides the water drag and inertia.
> If you already have an inboard, why not just replace it with an electric motor and use your existing shaft and prop?
> Jim McMillan
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, oak <oak_box@> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I've heard that too.  Of course, it would be interesting to hear the context - was it on an inland lake, or out in open conditions with current and large waves?
> >  
> > I can tell you my Atomic 4 gas engine with 30HP is wayyy more than I need on the lake.  I cruise at 5-6mph with the throttle very low.  And I have to take it out of gear in the marina to slow down enough when I'm nearing my slip (and still hit reverse to stop).
> >  
> > John
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment