Tuesday, August 7, 2012

[Electric Boats] Electric outboards for Catalina 30?

 

I'm interested in re-powering (or starting as a backup) my Catalina 30 sailboat with electric.
 
The boat is used in a Texas inland, freshwater lake - so large waves are not a problem.  (For that matter, neither are hurricanes, sharks, or pirates - except the ones that call themselves "boat mechanics"...)    I'd like to be able to cruise the boat for a max range of 3-4 hours at 5-6mph.   The boat currently has a 30hp inboard gas engine, but I can typically cruise at 5mph at the lowest throttle setting, so I really have no idea how much power would be required to get the boat to 5mph in a fair wind.
 
I've seen the ads for the Torqeedo and the Parsun outboards, but am guessing I need something in the 15hp range from a "traditional gas outboard" to push something of this size.
 
I like the idea of an outboard.  No holes in the bottom of the boat!!  Easy to get to without having to pull the boat out of the water.  Can be entirely replaced (or at least removed for working on somewhere else).
 
Is it possible to make a larger outboard than the 5-6HP Parsun?
 
If I bought a larger electric motor, and an old 20hp gas outboard, could I "Frankenstein" the two together?  That is, can I remove the power head from the outboard, install a large electric, and have a large electric outboard?   Has anyone tried anything like this?
 
Thanks!
John

 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment