Friday, August 17, 2012

[Electric Boats] Re: Electric Outboards?

 

John,
I really don't think you'd be happy with any of the electric outboards on the market. Sure you could motor along in mild conditions, but for situations like backing into a 20MPH wind that you mentioned I think you'd be underpowered. Keep in mind you have a lot of windage from the hull and rig to overcome, besides the water drag and inertia.
If you already have an inboard, why not just replace it with an electric motor and use your existing shaft and prop?
Jim McMillan

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, oak <oak_box@...> wrote:
>
> Yes, I've heard that too.  Of course, it would be interesting to hear the context - was it on an inland lake, or out in open conditions with current and large waves?
>  
> I can tell you my Atomic 4 gas engine with 30HP is wayyy more than I need on the lake.  I cruise at 5-6mph with the throttle very low.  And I have to take it out of gear in the marina to slow down enough when I'm nearing my slip (and still hit reverse to stop).
>  
> John
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment