Sunday, October 2, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Eric and James

 

Thanks of the compliment. 
I've been a carpenter for going-on 40 years so the design is a lot tougher then the execution for me. 

Solar panels are actually easy to assemble from cells with just minimal soldering skills and basic tools . 
There are 2 tabs on the back of each cell, one + and one -. You just solder them each to a common lead and you've got power. 
(check eBay, you can see samples and kits there)
A bead of silicone at the top and bottom edge will bed the cells to the FRP and then I'll skin over the top with a sheet of thin plexiglass that will rest on the battens. I can easily replace the plexi when it gets frosted. 
My big concern is condensation, to vent the panels or to try and seal them. 

I did look into those flexible panels, they'd certainly make things easier. The only issue I have is the price per watt. 
Right now I've got more time then money so something being labor intensive isn't an issue if it cuts the price enough.

I'd need to take a look at photos of your project before I weighed in with an opinion, but my first instinct is to suggest you build up the roof with thin foam sheets or something similar and leave channels in the build up for your wires. There was (hopefully) a lot of engineering that went into the structure and load rating of that roof, cutting channels in it might not be a good idea.

Thanks again for the input!

M





__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment