Sunday, October 2, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Solar Panels

 

Greetings All,

Certainly some interesting posts lately.  I went to the Voith site, actually found another link for US  customers and looked at some of their videos about their marine products.  Very impressive looking products, and some great ideas (props located amidship) although they appear to be designed for large scale commercial applications.

As for solar panels, even though I have very little experience or knowledge relatively, it seems the problem for boat owners/liveaboards is adequate space for placing solar panels.
A few months ago I ran across a story about a company that made solar panels for the military.  The application was intended for quick, portable set-up (field stations, etc.), damage-resistance/durability, low-light utilization, and what intrigued me, the panels are rollable!  I like this because the obvious answer, at least for those who sail, seems to me to be incorporating solar-generation into the sails.  There are some technical challenges there to be sure, but this company that is producing rollable panels seems to be headed in the right direction.  Did I mention there panels are water-proof too.

Anyway, if anybody would like to check it out;   http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/rollable-solar-chargers.php

I would guess there are other companies/sites as well, but I have not gotten that far yet.

"JR"

__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment