Monday, March 14, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] wire size

 

Copy that James. Thanks for responding. Seems to me that folks like you, my brother Scott, and the other players in the business ought to be the ones hammering out those standards, or at least have some real input if you don't already as ABYC members. Since I'm only in it as a hobby I haven't paid much attention to ABYC or any other standards, but instead have relied mostly on past experience in other fields, basic electrical knowledge, and common sense. As much as I dislike rules and legalistically-worded standards, I do understand they're needed so the surveyors have something to survey to and the insurers have something to insure to, etc. As this business grows and evolves I hope those standards can evolve along with it without becoming arbitrary and burdensome and thus stifling innovation.
I guess I'm ranting, and I'm afraid I've used more than my allotment of forum bandwidth for this week!
Cheers,
Jim McMillan

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, James Lambden <james@...> wrote:
>
> I was referencing TE-30 wire sizes.
>
> TE-30 was written exclusively for electric boats.
>
> I will contact ABYC tomorrow and see if there is any restriction to posting the entire specification for the group.
>
> ABYC is not clear on some points which need a bit of interpreting.
>
> TE-30 far more conservative that E 11
>
> The reason is that electric boats employ continuous currents, where almost everything else is an intermittent current.
>
> James
>
> http://www.propulsionmarine.com
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment