Thursday, March 10, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Thrust to speed numbers

 

Most certainly Jim , have your diesel set up to drive your boat .
It means that you can bunker down and just keep going , in the worst of conditions , for days , if you have to.
But in better conditions , just sail , or electric motor sail.
I'm looking at an old 27 ft cray boat .
It is a motor boat , with auxiliary sail.It has been built and used in Tasmanian southern waters , which are very dangerous.
Auxiliary sail , with a boost from electric power will do me just fine , most of the time .
If I were to have a small diesel , driving a generator to drive an electric motor , then if any one of those things breaks , I'm stuffed !.
Where as with a marine diesel for propulsion , and an electric motor/sail drive , if either breaks , I have the other.
I think electric drive will compliment the auxiliary sails perfectly.
I know it won't sail as well as my current boat , I know to make it an all electric boat to equal a diesel would cost a mint , but together , sail and a modest electric drive I reckon they will be perfect .
Regards Rob J.


From: luv2bsailin <luv2bsailin@yahoo.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, 10 March, 2011 7:24:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Thrust to speed numbers

Sounds like some wild stuff Rob!
I know a lot of folks use a sort of "ad-hoc" hybrid setup with a portable gen-set, but it sounds like what you need is a good, solid, no b.s., marine rated unit installed below decks. I've been pondering something like that for my Albin. It would be a small diesel, say 5HP or so, coupled to a big DC generator, which can power the main propulsion motor directly and/or charge batteries as conditions require. I like the mechanical simplicity of this series hybrid configuration, though there are arguments to be made for parallel configurations where the diesel can also drive the prop shaft.
Cheers,
Jim

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Johnson <dopeydriver@...> wrote:
>
> Jim , I'll be a happy convert.
> But I'll be going to a hybrid .
> I am on a swing mooring , and often have big seas and winds to cope with.
> Last Friday we had 5 metre +seas sweeping the deck , and at times those waves
> got very steep . We were motor sailing and sailing , but everything had to be
> screwed down extra tight.
> I'm looking forward to getting another boat , and installing a hybrid.
> Regards Rob J.
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: luv2bsailin <luv2bsailin@...>
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Thu, 10 March, 2011 5:49:29 PM
> Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Thrust to speed numbers
>
> Keep at it Rob, we'll make a "convert" of you yet! Having done a bit of
> "electric sailing" myself, I wholeheartedly agree with James' take on it.
>
> Jim
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Johnson <dopeydriver@> wrote:
> >
> > I've just done a lot of motor sailing with an ICE engine , and I reckon its
> > perfect for electric power.
> > I hope to put it in to practise soon.
> > Thanks very much for the links Eric , much appreciated.
> > Regards Rob J.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: Eric <ewdysar@>
> > To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > Sent: Thu, 10 March, 2011 4:45:56 PM
> > Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Thrust to speed numbers
> >
> > Rob,
> >
> > The problem in trying to quantify motorsailing results is that your results
> >will
> >
> > vary, even from day to day.  And trying to compare your boat to my boat, who
> > knows how they relate....
> >
> >
> > This is starting to sound weird, but James of Propulsion Marine has published a
> >
> > page specifically about electric motorsailing on his Electric Boat Design
> > website.  Here's the link to that home page:
> > http://electricboatdesign.com/
> >
> > And here's the motorsailing page:
> > http://electricboatdesign.com/operation/electric-motorsailing/
> >
> > This may answer some of your questions.
> >
> > Fair winds,
> > Eric
> > Marina del Rey, CA
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Johnson <dopeydriver@> wrote:
> > >
> > > What I'd like to see is how well a yacht operates motor/sailing .
> > > I reckon you could up your speed a couple of knots , for very little power.
> > > Regards Rob J.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
    electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment