Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] SEVCON BRUSHLESS SAILBOAT KIT - 8.5kw

 

I am currently setting up a system of two strings of batteries.
 What I am doing is to make each one separate with two switches and two main fuses..
  keep the wires between the batteries as close to the same length as practical to keep an even draw.The wires that connect the batteries to the motor the same as well if you want to be able to run both banks together and keep them even.
  There was a discussion on running while charging and it pointed out that it is more efficient to charge the pack that you are running on. There are chargers that will allow this.
  Running separate banks also need bank chargers to finish the charge and make sure all the batteries are getting fully charged.
  I suspect that to run at 5 knots for that length of time will require a generator of around 3-4 kw output. That you will have to figure out after you know your current draw at that speed..
Remember the easy way to extend your range is to slow down..
Richard

--- On Mon, 3/7/11, Donald M Swanson <postal6@juno.com> wrote:

From: Donald M Swanson <postal6@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] SEVCON BRUSHLESS SAILBOAT KIT - 8.5kw
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Cc: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Received: Monday, March 7, 2011, 5:31 PM

 

Bill
 
I used a two to one reduction.  I have simple Interstate marine batteries, 12 volt, SRM 27, CCA 675.  I have run two hours straight on my system, which dragged me down to a 50 percent charge which is a no no.   I try to run at 3 knots or less, and not to consume below 60 percent of available power. 
 
The setup you have described , two 48 volt systems I can not give you any advice on.  You are looking at a lot of additional weight, and charging requirements.  I woul best defer you to Scott McMillan of electric yatch who I bought my system from, or any of the other knowledgeable professionals here within the group. 
 
On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 16:48:20 -0000 "Bill Tucker" <bill@tuckerarchitects.com> writes:
 

Donald,

I am also thinking of the system for an Ericson 35-2 11600 lbs. a couple of questions; What reduction did you use 2 to 1? What batteries do you have? and how long can you run on a charge?
I am thinking of a 1 to 1.5 or direct drive system to get 5 knts. Do you have any problem with tork?

My goal is to run for about 8 hours at 5 knts. (1200 rpm.) I am thinking of using 2 sets of 48 volt batteries, and switch off and charge one with a generator while running on the other.

What do you think?

Thanks

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Donald M Swanson <postal6@...> wrote:
>
> Not sure who you got your kit from Carlos, but I have an Ericson 27 that
> has been on the system for going on two years and I have no complaints.
> I might add that I am using wet cell batteries too. The only advice I
> can give you is don't push your speed. It will get you out of a quick
> jam with a little burst of speed, but try to keep it at one half of hull
> speed, in my case 3 knots or less, which will give you a couple of hours
> of cruising without any problems if you are in a bay. Depending on your
> boat, you will need to probably go with a three blade prop like I did,
> and with that said, you will do fine. Don
>
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 01:05:40 -0000 "Carlos Silva" <pahuac@...>
> writes:
>
> I am about to start my conversion with this kit and therefore would very
> much appreciate comments on actual experiences and tips.
>
> Thanks,
>
>
>
> __________________________________________________________
> Wall Streets Secrets Revealed
> The secrets that Wall Street Traders Don&#39;t want the public to know
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4d72f2b2362977eafm01vuc
>

 


____________________________________________________________
$65/Hr Job - 25 Openings
Part-Time job ($20-$65/hr). Requirements: Home Internet Access
Channel11NewsReport.com

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment