Wednesday, March 2, 2011

RE: [Electric Boats] Re: starting my conversion in earnest tomorrow

 

Josh asked:

* Where do you normally put the generator when it's operating? Is it in any type of enclosure or just open to the elements?

MT: I locate and run my EU2000 on the deck up by the bow of my 26ft boat, where it is strapped in place.  Since this is where my extension cord plug is anyway (for connecting to shore power), and since this deck is furthest from the usual spots where I or guests ride when underway, that is usually where I run the genset since it is least in the way and furthest from us for minimizing noise.  However, in the case where the wind is expected to be significantly head-on, I locate the genset at the back deck.  I don’t use any enclosure, but that would be something to consider.

 

* Assuming a Honda EU2000, are you using a fixed power supply or charger(s)? Why?

MT: My normal charger is a 36v, 20a Lestermatic ferro-resonant golf-cart charger.  It was relatively cheap and I can rely on it as a charger.  It has no problem working constantly for hours while underway with the generator.  But that charger only draws ½ what the Honda can put out constantly.  So when I need a steady 2HP of electricity from the genset, I carry along a Vicor Megapac unit I home-configured as a 48v, 20amp power supply.  I connect it up to the system DC, plug in the AC plug and it boosts the current delivered to the pack to 40amps---1440watts nominal into the 36v pack.  The Vicor runs in current-limit constantly (since it’s a 48v CV, 20a CI supply) and I never plug it in except while underway and with the genset running…it’s a small unit---about 9x6x14” and probably about 80-85% efficient or so.

 

*  If you had it to do over again, what you choose? There are telcom 48V power supplies that would seem to be perfect, just minus the "marine" rating.

MT: I’d do nothing different unless money wasn’t important.  The Lester chargers can be had for under $200 used.  The Vicor units cost me less than $80 to build.

__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment