Friday, March 18, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Portable generators

 

Mike , Eric , what is the USA Coast Guard position on this type of portable generator being used to power a boat ?.
What is your insurers position ?.
The difficulty is , I believe , while you might have people like yourself , who take electric power very seriously taking all due care , what if the everyday rabble decided to take on electric power from a portable generator, with the same nonchalance and lack of due care that they due with the outboard . The outboard at least is designed for marine service , the Honda generator is not .
And like I have said before , there is nothing more sobering than talking on the radio to someone 40NM out to sea , who has just had his outboard burst in to flames. 
Or to see a boat blow sky high , from petrol fumes.
I'd like to know what your insurers , and your Coast Guard think of them.
I'm not passing judgement on you good people , but where does the industry go from here ?.
Regards Rob J.  


From: Mike <biankablog@verizon.net>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sat, 19 March, 2011 12:43:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Portable generators



IMO using a portable generator on board just takes common sense. If I'm in a marina there is no need to run a generator. That's where you have dockside power and that's what I would use. It would be foolish and fuelish to operate a generator where there is a ready supply of grid electric.  Like Eric mentioned you need to know where to position the generator so the exhaust points away and over the side. Again it's just common sense. I think Rob and his fellow Coast Guard have probably seen their share of people who may not have been the brightest bulbs in the bunch. But, IMO my boat is safer now then when I had a diesel engine on board. I certainly carry less fuel on board and have no chance of a pump or fuel hose failure spraying diesel fuel on a hot engine down below. As for the safety of gasoline for the generator I have always carried gasoline on board. For my 2 HP outboard for the dingy. Indeed most cruising sailboats carry gas for their outboards on board. But, you need to carry common sense on board too.
 
Capt. Mike
 

--- On Fri, 3/18/11, amracel@stuffandjunk.net <amracel@stuffandjunk.net> wrote:

From: amracel@stuffandjunk.net <amracel@stuffandjunk.net>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Portable generators
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, March 18, 2011, 10:04 PM

 
I have been reading with interest this discussion of portable generators. The marina owner where I have my boat flat out told me that I would need to find another marina if he saw me using such a device because he considered them dangerous on a boat. His big concern was exhaust build-up in the cabin.

Thoughts?

Anne Racel
Yorktown, VA

Please excuse the brevity. Droid's scribbling as much as he can.






 

__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment