Sunday, March 20, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Inverter Duty versus Standard Duty Generators

 

May have been a miss read.  It was not clear that you were talking about other inverter generators. This you have clarified in your latest post.

The original seemed you were comparing honda inverter series with china worksite generators that when compared to honda worksite generators are on par.

I should have been easer with my words, so accept my apology.

Kevin Pemberton

On 03/16/2011 12:26 PM, Eric wrote:

 

Hi Kevin,

I'm not sure what parts of my post you had issues with, but I will stand behind every one of my statements as absolutely accurate. For example, part of my sampling included two friends did buy the Kipor knock-offs and were not pleased with the results. The generators did not not meet the published noise specs when tested with a handheld meter (nearby Hondas did meet specs when measured minutes later), although both could be considered "quiet" under low load. Both Kipor generators stopped working in less than 20 hours of usage (however, that is a statistical sampling of only 2 cases). Both generators were replaced with Hondas and the owners are more satisfied with the new generators. I should note that I own a Yamaha EF2000iS, but I'm just a satisfied consumer.

I've never met anyone with a Honeywell or Champion version of these generators, so I can't speak to the quality or personal customer satisfaction of those specific units, nor did I make any claims about them.

It sounds like even you agree that the argument of "US made" doesn't really come into play in this market segment, but you'll notice that I didn't make any references to the countries of origin in my post.

So, I guess that you could consider my post to be "sided", but it is just my personal opinion based on the experiences of myself and personal friends, which is exactly how I presented it.

If you have personal experiences with some of these or other generators, please share some those experiences. We all know that personal recommendations seem to carry more weight than marketing materials.

As for the discussion about installed systems, my generator is not installed on my boat, it lives in my garage. In fact, my boat has no AC system on board (except when the Yamaha is sitting on deck). The only installed AC device on my boat, the charger, is plugged directly into either a shorepower outlet via an extention cord, or the generator. Nothing is connected when not in use. Is there anything about that configuration that doesn't comply with any published standards or guidelines?

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA


--  Ubuntu10.04, Acer AspireOne, Virgin Mobile 3G Broadband2go. Doesn't get any better than this!

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment