Thursday, March 3, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Stuffing box recomendation

 

Jeff,

I looked at the Tides marine shaft seal page and see that they require a water supply for seal lubrication "Connect the SeriesOne® shaft seal to a pressurized water supply source (point in the engine's raw water cooling system) by attaching the water injection hose to the brass fitting on the housing. At idle speed, water should be flowing at 1 gal/4 l. per minute. Check rate by timing flow into an empty container. "

How did you address this requirement with an electric drive with no raw water cooling system?

My PSS shaft seal is only 3 parts (plus hose clamps); the bellows, the carbon graphite seal flange that is attached to the bellows and the stainless steel rotor that is mounted on the prop shaft. For the low shaft speeds in my sailboat, PSS does not require external cooling water. It has worked flawlessly and has been completely maintenance free since it was installed. It was no problem moving the assemby to the new propellor shaft that I installed as part of my electric drive upgrade (the old shaft had a wierd prop taper and I couldn't find a new prop that would fit). Looking at their current installation instructions, they now recommend installing a vent line for slow speed (under 12kts) installations, but it was not part of the system when I installed mine.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, geoff gamsby <geoffgamsby@...> wrote:
>
> I agree that a packing-less stuffing box is ideal, I gained at least
> a 1/4 of a knot from upgrading mine. I have a Tides marine, it has
> less parts than the PSS and i think they have a better warranty.
>
> Either way I would highly recommend one of these types of stuffing
> boxes. Plus they are drip free so a clean & dry electric boat!
>
> geoff
> www.straightturn.net/sailing
>

__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment