Wednesday, March 2, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Stuffing box recomendation

 

I believe that the dripless seals like the PSS Shaft Seal (I have one on my boat) are the lowest friction alternatives to traditional packing glands on most driveshafts. Less friction equals more efficiency, so the dripless seals offer some theoretical increase in range. That said, the difference in range may be a very small percentage, perhaps immeasurable. What I like about my PSS Shaft Seal is that it is really dripless. I "burp" the seal occasionally to let new water into the shaft log, the de-oxygenated is said to be more corrosive to stainless steel prop shafts.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "m8trixman" <pb@...> wrote:
>
> I am really enjoying this group! What is the best stuffing box for an electric drive?
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment