Saturday, March 19, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Portable generators

 

Rob,

And that has been the point all along, I don't ever want to be in the position where the generator is needed to power the boat. That's why I have $3500 of batteries onboard. The electric drive is much more reliable and easier to use than any ICE engine that I have ever operated.

The sails are the primary source of propulsion. The auxiliary electric drive is to be used if there is some reason that the sails can't be used. The point of the generator is to reduce the risk of not having enough electric "fuel" to get to safety. So the generator is the backup fuel source for the backup drive.

I have to ask, on your boat, do you have triple redundancy for your propulsion?

Do you think that my insurer or a court of law would prefer that my boat go adrift after the primary batteries run out? Is there some scenario where I would reduce my liability by removing a emergency backup system? I would certainly get no real service from my generator if I left it in my garage.

BTW, in all of the scenarios that you listed below, the drive or fuel had no influence on the outcome.

Fair winds,
Eric

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Johnson <dopeydriver@...> wrote:
>
> Eric , again , I know you and others on this forum are very careful , but there
> are so many scenarios where is is extremely difficult to do too much at all , to
> help yourself.
> We have had them , even with a perfectly running open water boat , that the
> owner/driver was violently sea sick , and in the finish , we had to go out and
> get him.
> Or they have been injured , done their back , been badly concussed , broke a leg
> (Spirit of Mystery), all of that sort of thing , when the best way out is to
> turn the key , and drive out.
> Setting up a generator to power the boat would be extremely difficult.
> I'd want it set up , ready to go.
> I suffer from arthritis , which is controlled pretty well with drugs.
> I haven't been caught out on the water , but I have on land , with my 4x4
> extreme camper. I had missed a dose of tablets up in the mountains , didn't
> recognise the symptoms , and went to sleep.
> When I woke up , I was in agony , and almost completely immobolised . I got out
> of that ok , although it took more than half a day . If I was on the water , who
> knows ?. 
> If you had the misfortune to come to grief in your boat in some way , and if
> that accident could be shown to at least be partly due to your inability to get
> real service out of your generator , where do you stand with your insuror ? ,
> where do you stand in a court of law ?.
> Regards Rob J.
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment