Saturday, March 19, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Portable generators

 

Hi Rob,

Why are you thinking of contacting your insurer? It doesn't sound like you plan to use a portable generator.

Mark
Santa Cruz

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Johnson <dopeydriver@...> wrote:
>
> Eric , I don't know what the American Coast Guard position is to using non
> marine portable petrol generators on board boats is , that is why I am asking.
> Or your insurance company.
> Certainly , if I was to use something like this I'd want to know , and I'd want
> the response in writing. 
> Sorry for being such a killjoy.
> My ideal , like you , is to sail.
> The reality is that this area demands a very good auxiliary setup , which I have
> on my current boat.
> But for a number of reasons I won't go through again now , I'd like to get
> another boat , more suitable for what I do ( fish under sail) , but the reality
> is I'll be mostly motor-sailing.
> This I'd like to do with an electric motor and sails , I reckon that would suit
> me just fine.
> But I'll have my marine diesel to use for propulsion , when I need to , and to
> keep the batteries up. 
> Just for interest sake , I might contact my insurer by e-mail , and pose them a
> few questions , to see how they respond.
> Regards Rob J.
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Eric <ewdysar@...>
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Sat, 19 March, 2011 7:34:48 PM
> Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Portable generators
>
> Rob,
>
> You already have the same situation today with everyday rabble running
> "installed" portable generators to power their microwaves and blenders. 
> Electric boats aren't going to make people less responsible.  If anything, a
> drive system that takes consideration and energy management should raise the
> awareness of the consequences of not paying attention. 
>
>
> I still understand your position, but I believe that most of the boats that
> you've heard with burning outboards are considered to be the operator's fault
> through operator errors, negligence, or poor maintenance.  The fact that the
> boat originally complied with USCG regulations and ABYC standards didn't prevent
> the accident.  That's why my BoatUS magazine constantly states that more than
> 90% of mechanical failures including onboard fires could be prevented with
> attention and maintenance.
>
> I looked up the 2009 USCG accident statistics and of the 197 fires/explosions
> related to fuel, 96 were open motorboats, 64 were cabin motorboats and 20 were
> personal watercraft.  11 more were on houseboats.  Only 2 auxiliary sailboats
> caught fire or exploded during 2009, including boats that were anchored, moored
> or docked.  Are auxiliary sailboats inherently safer than other powered vessels
> (I don't think so) or are the operators more attentive?
>
> I understand your concern, but perhaps we're trying to mitigate a problem that
> doesn't actually exist.
>
> At this time, I am not aware of any statutes prohibiting the use of portable
> generators on-board, nor does my insurance take a documented position for or
> against them.  If you are aware of a USCG regulation concerning portable
> generators, please let us know.  It is my impression that we are a generally law
> abiding group.
>
> Eric
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Johnson <dopeydriver@> wrote:
> >
> > Mike , Eric , what is the USA Coast Guard position on this type of portable
> > generator being used to power a boat ?.
> > What is your insurers position ?.
> > The difficulty is , I believe , while you might have people like yourself , who
> >
> > take electric power very seriously taking all due care , what if the everyday
> > rabble decided to take on electric power from a portable generator, with the
> > same nonchalance and lack of due care that they due with the outboard . The
> > outboard at least is designed for marine service , the Honda generator is not
> .
> > And like I have said before , there is nothing more sobering than talking on
> >the
> >
> > radio to someone 40NM out to sea , who has just had his outboard burst in to
> > flames. 
> > Or to see a boat blow sky high , from petrol fumes.
> > I'd like to know what your insurers , and your Coast Guard think of them.
> > I'm not passing judgement on you good people , but where does the industry go
> > from here ?.
> > Regards Rob J.  
> >
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment