Wednesday, March 16, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Inverter Duty versus Standard Duty Generators

 

Kevin wrote:
"On another note. How do we justify running a 120vac generator in our boats when we have not considered installing our conversions not to the above 50vdc standards set by industry organizations. I have done it but really, are we trying to install our upgrades to standards or not?"

Hi Kevin,
The "50V standards" you are referring to apply to DC voltages.
120/240VAC system voltage standards are the same for EP boats as any other, until you get up to the 300+VAC propulsion systems.

But maybe your question is "Are portable gas generators legal to use onboard recreational vessels, and if so, what are the installation requirements?".

I don't know. There is plenty of info about permanently installed generators, but I haven't found anything about portable units. I asked this question of the USCG representative that visits our shop, but haven't received a reply.

I do know that the output of the EU2001i has the neutral isolated from ground, which doesn't comply with ABYC E-11 (but that is easily corrected). The flickering of the "rev polarity" light at your "AC Mains" breaker will be your first clue...

Probably the biggest concern is that the EU2000i is not certified as ignition protected, which is not something that can be easily corrected. I expect the Coasties will have a problem with that, but as I said, they haven't told me yet.

I run one on deck, for now.

-Tom

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment