Monday, March 7, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Electric Propulsion Torque & Thrust

 

There has been some discussion with Propulsion Marine regarding torque/thrust and I encourage you to ask them directly regarding specifics. James runs the business and is very knowledgeable and willing to answer any inquiries. He will have exact data for you.

I have my boat on Kentucky Lake and the current isn't too strong, but it is constant. I plan on taking her down the Tom-Bigbee to Mobile Bay this Fall. heading to USVI to join my two brothers who live there.

Cheers,

Robert
--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, GNHBus@... wrote:
>
> Interesting Robert, did Propulsion Marine designate the Torque specs on the
> electric propulsion system???
> What are the currents like where you sail ???
>
>
> In a message dated 3/7/2011 2:59:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> relmason@... writes:
>
>
>
>
> I am about to start the process of re-powering my 35' Columbia with an
> electric drive from Propulsion Marine. I currently have a 27hp 3GM Yanmar and
> will be installing a 6.5KW system. Here is info based on Propulsion Marine's
> website FAQ' for gearing:
>
> "Electric horsepower is equal to between 3 to 4 times that of diesel
> horsepower due to inherent power losses with an ICE (alternator load drag,
> transmission inefficiency, water pump, etc.) One horsepower equates to 746 watts
> and extrapolating it out we get one Kilowatt = 1.34 h.p. Our 6.5 KW motor
> consumes 8.71 h.p. Multiply that by 3.5 and you get 30.84 h.p. which is the
> diesel equivalent."
>
> My boat displaces 13,900 lbs. and I have targeted my gearing/prop
> selection to give me 2 hours runtime @ 5.5kts with 80% DOD on AGM batteries.
> Dropping the speed to 3.5 kts. more than doubles my range.
>
> The main issue is battery bank capacity. I am planning on installing 2
> banks of either 4D or 8D's with a projected capacity or between 18.5 Kw hours
> and 22.5 Kw hours reserve depending on which batteries I go with.
>
> I will be putting my motor up for sale shortly. It has approx 500 hours on
> it and is in excellent condition. Paint looks great and there is little to
> no rust. My wife is completely deaf in one ear and almost complete in the
> other so the decision to go electric has to do with noise reduction as
> anything. we need to be able to hear one another while under power and this
> seems like a solution for us.
>
> Robert
> --- In _electricboats@yahoogroups.com_
> (mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com) , "GeoG" <GNHBus@> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings to ALL,
> >
> > I had a very interesting conversation with a Westerbeke Distributor, 40
> yr man, knows quite a bit about marine engines.
> >
> > I asked him if he could describe the differences regarding Torque,
> Thrust, Propellor Design, when comparing ICE & Electric Propulsion Systems for
> marine applications, and he could not.
> >
> > I want to decide between a 30hp ICE & an Electric Propulsion System for
> thrusting a 15,000 lb displacement hull at 6 knots for 4 hrs/day.
> >
> > Does anyone have a good understanding on this subject ?
> >
> > Best Regards
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment