Tuesday, March 15, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Columbia 29 sailboat

 

Been working on converting my Columbia 8.3 to electric for the past few
months, but am going to have to sell the boat before completing the
conversion (moving from NY to CA and not taking the boat). I'd be happy
to share my learning so far - fire away with questions! I'll try to get
some photos posted for you. Consider joining the Columbia Yacht Owners
Association (CYOA) Yahoo Group. Several Columbia owners on that group
have converted to electric.

> I think that a golf cart motor conversion would be ideal
Most everybody these days appears to go with an ETEK patterned motor,
not golf cart motors.

> I'm a mechanical engineer, so designing the installation would be
> pretty easy.
IMO, the most difficult part of a DIY conversion is putting together a
motor and drive pulley mount, so if you're good there the connversion
shouldn't bee too difficult.

The second challenge is to find marine grade electrical components -
finding suitable switches and contactors for a reasonable price has
proven to be a challenge!

If anyone reading this is in Long Island NY/CT area and looking for a
decent cruiser in the 25-30' size range, or has a friend in the market,
let me know! I need to have my boat sold and moved by May 1st. Will be
putting boat on craigslist.com very soon. Asking $3k for the boat, $500
for the Merc 9.9 OB, and $250 for the 7 stands, but will take the 1st
reasonable offer. Mars electric motor, mounting plate, jack shaft,
pulleys, etc. are not included, but I'll negotiate if the buyer really
wants them.

--Tim
S/V Wind Gypsy
1978 Columbia 8.3

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment