Tuesday, March 15, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Catalina 27

 

Hello sloop
I did not try another ratio. My prop is the original 12X7 from the A4. I am thinking of replacing it with a 3 bladed this summer when bottom work is being done. I don't use regen and I don't have any definitive numbers on performance. Using my iphone for speed I see about 2.8knts@ 1500watts. Typically use under 20AH during a day sail.
I will someday take some good readings but when I go out I have a desire to sail.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "sloop_wasnt_me" <sloop_wasnt_me@...> wrote:
>
> I have a Cal 2-27, 7600lbs displacement and I am considering the same setup: Mars 3001 and Kelly 72301 controller but I will use chain drive. I will not be replacing my Atomic 4... I will leave it in place for when the batts are down. I plan to mount the electric motor over the prop shaft facing forward. I will split a flange and sprocket and put it together around the prop shaft rather than remove the engine and slide it onto the shaft. Since I just bought two group 27 deep cycle batts for house and engine starting, I will for now just buy 4 more of the same for about 100 amp/hours at 72VDC. I may add another bank later of the same, or just double up parallel for 200 a/h capacity.
>
> Did you try a higher reduction, say 2-1/2 to 1? I am thinking I might want my motor topping out at about 3600 RPM and so I was considering 3/1 or so. Of course it is trivial to change the sprocket on the motor so I can always adjust the ratio.
>
> Your cat is similar size maybe slightly lighter than my cal. What kind of battery consumption are you getting? typical range at your favorite cruising speed? And how well does the regen mode work? Thanks for any answers, tips, or advice.
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Doug" <dj2210@> wrote:
> >
> > Yes- I have on an 1982 and replaced the Atomic 4. Checkout my pictures on Doug's C27 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/photos/album/1837698165/pic/list
> > I am using a 2"1 belt drive conversion with a Mars 3001 and Kelly controller.
> > Doug
> > C27
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "thecaseva" <cjhdj@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm brand new to this group and electric motors. Has anyone refitted a Catalina 27 (1985) with an electric motor ? Also any tips on finding 'getting started' info from this group ? thanks !
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment