Thursday, March 17, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Catalina 27

 

Hi Michael,
They are about 300 bucks as Matthew mentioned. There are a few different versions so you'll want to make sure you get the right one for whatever motor you pick. There are a few companies that sell electric vehicle kits, "hot rod" kits for golf carts and the like. Can't think of any names right now. I'm on the road this weekend so I may or may not have internet access, but if could send me an email reminder I will dig up some wiring diagrams. The Alltrax site is good too, but they have a lot if different versions so it takes a little digging.
Yes, that was the original setup on my Catalina 27. The same controller was on my Albin 25 last summer, but with a Mars PM brush motor. It worked great but ran a little hot so I had to install a fan. Pics of that one are under "Albin 25" in the photo section.
The Alltrax is a very simple but rugged Pulse Width Modulation controller. PWM basically means that it switches the current to the motor on and off at a steady rate, something like 20,000 times per second. While the rate stays steady, the pulse width (on time vs off time) is varied in response to your throttle setting. The motor tends to smooth out those on-off pulses due to it's inductance, which can be thought of as a form of electrical inertia. Bottom line, you're effectively varying the DC voltage that the motor sees. The reversing relay simply swaps the motor leads.
Sorry I got a little long winded there, hope it makes sense.
Jim

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "ComcastMail" <shea1719@...> wrote:
>
> Jim -
>
> Your previous application of the Alltrax AXE controller with a reversing relay perhaps answers my previous question. Was that Catalina with the Briggs Etec a brush type motor?
>
> How much does that controller cost, and basically how do the work? Can you attach a PDF wiring diagram for this kind of system?
>
> Thanks again
>
> Michael Shea
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: luv2bsailin
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:46 AM
> Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Catalina 27
>
>
>
> Hi Guys,
> I dug through my archives and found some old pics of my first electric installation. You can see them under "Jim McMillan..." in the photo section. It was done at Ventura Harbor (CA) back in 2004. I just sort of threw it together as a proof of concept so it ain't pretty. It did about 2kt at 900W, 3kt at 1500W, 4kt at 2800W, and 5kt at 5400W with the cheesy little fouled 9-inch prop as seen in the pics. I think the reduction was around 2.5:1 at the time.
> The chain drive worked great for playing with ratios, but was horribly noisy. The motor was a Briggs E-Tek and controller was an Alltrax AXE with a reversing relay. I still laugh when I see the throttle control, I threw it together in about a half with some Radio Shack parts, scrap paneling, drywall screws and hot-glue. Anyhow, it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot.
> Cheers,
> Jim
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "sloop_wasnt_me" <sloop_wasnt_me@> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <boat_works@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > Are you certain you can run the MARS 3001 at 72V? I thought it was spec'd at 48V nominal.
> > >
> > > I ask because the output of my Elcon charger is fixed at about 3V higher than I like to charge, and adding another cell to my battery bank would get me a bit more KWH and get the charge profile more in line with my needs.
> > >
> > > -Tom
> > >
> >
> > I'm not positive but I think it will run okay at 72v, Tom. At least Kelly Controls thinks it will cause they sell a kit, with 48v (KBL48301) controller, but offer upgrade to the 72V controller and they throw in a 15A charger too. Obviously they mean for the motor to be run at 72V or they would not upgrade the charger. I will check for sure before placing an order. If it don't work out then I guess I still got my Atomic 4 to git 'er done.
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment