Wednesday, March 16, 2011

[Electric Boats] Columbia 29 sailboat options [2 Attachments]

 
[Attachment(s) from shea1719@comcast.net included below]

Thank you Jim for your informative reply.  You have answered so many questions so very clearly that a good picture is beginning to take shape in my mind.  Which leads me to some more questions, of course.

 

1)   I have been informed that the preferred motor for this application is the ETEK face mount configuration, brush type.  The advantage, besides the obvious (easy face mount, and no need for an additional external bearing to support the stub shaft, as well as no need for an expensive spline section), is that you don't need a controller, just a high amperage tap switch (I am including a PDF of the schematic diagram).   I kind of like this approach, except that it seems that the #1 battery gets the lions share of the load.  Or is it that the batteries still drain evenly since they do remain all connected together.  In non-technical thers, the voltage seems to be 'filtered' through the #1 battery (or #1 & #2, etc), limiting voltage to the sum of the number of batteries selected by the wwitch.  Anyway, can you (or anyone else) try to explain how this works?  Can you (or anyone else) perhaps discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the brush type motor vs the brushless type with the controller??

 

As far as the V-belt approach, as well as your 3:1 reduction estimate, I was already on that page.  It's good to hear that other folks also favor that approach.

 

Lastly (for now), just what is meant by a "four-channel" charger??

 

Thanks, Jim for your clear information.  I hope that you (or someone else) can answer these other questuions!!

 

Regards -

 

Michael Shea


----- Original Message -----
From: "luv2bsailin" <luv2bsailin@yahoo.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:50:01 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Columbia 29 sailboat

 

Michael,
I think most golf cart motors are in the 2 to 3 HP range, which would would probably get you 3 or 4 knots and plenty of maneuvering thrust. Used as aux power for motor sailing it could be very effective. I'd be looking at the higher end carts, say 3HP and preferably 48V.
You're going to need a reduction drive to match the motor to the prop. Taking a wild guess I'd say 3:1 would be a good starting point.
I like belt reductions because it's easy to play around with ratios to get it optimized, and they are quiet. In that power range you could probably get away with a vee belt, especially if it's a good quality "CRE" type. They're much cheaper than the timing belts used on many of the higher-power installations, though maybe a wee bit less efficient.
Most of the GC motors I've seen bolt right onto a differential and have a splined shaft. Once removed from the differential there is no shaft support bearing, so you'd need to come up with a way to support the output shaft. Also need a way to adapt the splines to a pulley hub. Could probably just turn the splines off and use a compression hub. None of that should pose a big challenge if you have access to a machine shop.
As for power requirements, 3HP is 2238 Watts, which boils down to about 47 amps on a 48 volt system. If you went with 4 group 31 deep cycle wet-cell batteries (typically 100 Amp Hours), you would want to limit your runs to less than an hour at full power. Cut back to half power and you could do 2 or 3 hours. Better batteries will do better of course, but I'm assuming you're looking for an economical solution. For charging I'd get a 4 channel marine smart-charger of 10 or 15A per channel.
Jim McMillan

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "ComcastMail" <shea1719@...> wrote:
>
> I have a 1964 Columbia 29 sailboat with a 47 year old gasoline Atomic 4 engine. I don't motor much, I sail. I don't like the engine. I only need it primarily to get in and out of the marinas & harbors, and occasional ill winds. I am on a large inland lake where the winds are usually very favorable. I think that a golf cart motor conversion would be ideal. I'm a mechanical engineer, so designing the installation would be pretty easy. I just need to learn more about the electrical system, performance, battery drain, etc. Have any of you ever utilized a golf cart system to power a sailboat? I am happy to be in the group..
>
> Thank you -
>
> Michael Shea
>

__._,_.___

Attachment(s) from shea1719@comcast.net

1 of 1 Photo(s)

1 of 1 File(s)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment