Sunday, December 6, 2009

RE: [Electric Boats] Re: Electric Catamaran

 


From: Eric

PV panels don't generate any heat, but they do collect it. Hard panels over
a hard bimini actually lower the temperature on deck, underneath the cover.
The panels need a small air gap for cooling so the hard bimini ends up in
the shade. Many people use the panels as their bimini with nothing
underneath, these act similar to a regular hard top, though probably a
little warmer underneath because they're black on top. Putting an additional
layer between you and the panels, perhaps even canvas, should mitigate that
issue.

You can probably guess, I'm trying to save a couple pounds wherever I can. I
was thinking of going with a targa style arch in the back for my traveler
and attaching the panels to that with aluminum supports and tying it
altogether with a walkway down the center (basically an aluminum frame
holding up everything). I can't have exposed wiring under the bimini so I'll
probably have to go with the continuous hard bimini, front to back.

I've just spent the last couple hours shopping for electric motors. I'm
wondering if I can get away with something in the 36 volt range. These guys
(www.kraeutler.at) have a couple that look interesting. They make a variety
of power systems, including sail drives. I know the Volvo diesel sail drives
have been a nightmare on the bigger charter cats. I don't think these are
regenerative either, unlike the Asmo.

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment