Sunday, December 6, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: Electric Catamaran

 

Does anyone know the cost of that sunpowercorp 315w panel.

rich

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "luv2bsailin" <luv2bsailin@...> wrote:
>
> I believe these are the most efficient PV panels on the market.
>
> http://us.sunpowercorp.com/residential/products-services/products/panels.php
>
> I've been looking at the 315s for my modified Duffy launch. They are 41x63 inches and put out 315W at peak.
>
> Jim
>
> (If anyone is curious, I've got an old Duffy 18 double-ender with an Electric Yacht system and an oversized prop. According to the numbers, 3 of those panels will allow me to do over 4kt on pure solar. There's also room for 12 Trojan T-125s in the battery hold, which would give me a range of around 50 miles at 4.5 to 5 kt. I haven't installed the big battery bank or solar panels yet, but based on preliminary testing of amps-vs-kts the numbers should be pretty close.)
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gow" <billgow@> wrote:
> >
> >
> > From: David Goldsmith
> >
> > Off the cuff it sounds to me like you're dreaming.
> >
> > 8 of those PVL-68s is only a 544 watt array.
> >
> > - I've been agonizing over this electric power option for almost a month
> > now and I finally figured I had to discuss this with people with more
> > experience than I have. Thanks for the quick and straightforward response!
> >
> > From: Eric
> >
> > There is no way that you can beat the power to weight ratio, economy, or
> > simplicity of regular outboards with any type of electric propulsion.
> >
> > BTW, using lead acid batteries, 1000 pounds will get you 22.5 Kwh total,
> > 13.5Kwh usable. With LiFePO4, 800 pounds can get you 32Kwh total, or 24 Kwh
> > usable for almost three times the cost. As somebody else mentioned, 8 PV68
> > panels will only provide 544w under optimum conditions, usually less than
> > 400w, which won't drive you at 2.5 knots, or would take 4 sunny days to
> > charge 12Kwh at anchor.
> >
> > - Thanks, Eric! Hey, I sailed my first catamarans out of Marina del Rey! A
> > Sol Cat and later a Nacra. I sailed the Tuesday night races for a while. I
> > remember many nights sitting becalmed just outside of that breakwall... ;)
> > I also have a very funny story about blowing down the channel at the public
> > boat launch in Santa Anna conditions and pitch polling right out in the main
> > channel in front of about a gazillion spectators... Lots of memories!
> >
> > - I've read a little about the Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. I think
> > they'll become a viable alternative once the auto manufacturers are using
> > them.
> >
> > - I need lightweight solar. Is there something better than the PVL-68
> > laminates? I've searched around and these look like my best bet.
> >
> > - I have a couple other methods of recharging batteries. My electric motors
> > can regenerate electricity and at anchor, I'll set up a wind generator.
> >
> > - Besides propulsion, I'll be using a lot of electricity for refrigeration,
> > navigation electronics, water maker, pumps (bilge, baitwells and tuna
> > tubes), and lights, etc..
> >
> > - Would it make better sense to go diesel electric and wait for the battery
> > technology to mature a little more?
> >
> > - I'm not put off by the initial cost of the batteries. I know, over time,
> > they more than pay for themselves. Even more important, I'll always have
> > power. Something I may not have available while at sea for long periods of
> > time otherwise. I think the best thing about the LiFePO4 technology is
> > flexibility in shape. Instead of dedicating a large square battery
> > compartment, I can stash them in more convenient places where space allows.
> >
> > - Thanks for all the advice!
> >
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment