Friday, December 11, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: Electric Catamaran

 

Thanks for all of the comments.

Just to clear a few things, it's a sailing cat cruiser/racer 30ft and < 2.5 tonnes.

The http://www.psychosnail.com/BoatSpeedCalculator.aspx calculator recons that 5 Knots would use 1.31 KW
I'm guessing that's for only one hull on a cat so should that really be 2.6kw for 5 knots?

Eric, Thanks for your input. I didn't realise the 'normal' voltage of TS cells would be 3.2v and not 3.75 (I was also looking at a 48v system).
Good points about rated wattage on alternative power sources (Solar/wind) and what the realistic values would be on a daily scenario.

Chris, you quoted : 1500 watts = 4.5knots = 6 hrs
I would imagine my cat would be similar and 5 Knots would possibly be < 2 KW?

The reasoning for two motors is for Manoeuvring when docking and backup. If need be, I would only use one for distance travelling (into/outof harbours) and might create a sliding system so that I can Position them on each next to each hull when docking, then slide it into the center of the transom for motoring.

Has anyone taken apart an old outboard? Is the gearing in the top section? Would electric benefit from the gearing or better without?

My main lack of understanding is with prop sizes. With an electric motor, the best torque is in the low revs, so surely a large prop would be best? How would you calculate this!!! I'm looking at using Mars Motors (ME 0308) which have a 3 KW constant use, 9 KW max (1 min). (cloudelectric.com) I found with my current 30hp petrol that at 5-6 knots, cavitation stops me from revving it anymore and it's probably only running at 2500-3000 rpm. It's completely overpowerred and similar cats like mine have 15 hp engines.
How do you work out the max prop size against the motor you're using so that it doesn't stall or burn out?

Thanks for all of the responses, (in adavance)

Regards,

Jason.

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment