Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Repowering 40' 1975 20,000 lb sailboat

 

Don:
 
I'm finishing up my second season under electric propulsion on my 8 ton 30 foot sailboat and I have no intention of ever going back to having a diesel engine on board.  My inaugural cruise last year was a 200 mile round trip to Newport RI. I just recently I completed a 140 mile trip to New York and back. Using a Honda 2000i along with solar and a Marine Air X 48 volt wind generator. I anchored most of the time and only charged up using the AC dock power two times. Why? Because it was there!<g>
You can see a little log of the journey  here http://biankablog.blogspot.com/2009/09/electric-sailboat-cruise-to-new-york.html  and here http://biankablog.blogspot.com/2009/09/electric-sailboat-cruise-to-new-york_26.html
 
I was a little apprehensive about making this trip because my Xantrex XBM battery monitor display went kaput earlier in the season so I had no way of know how much current I was drawing from the battery bank so I ran the generator a lot (used about three or four gallons) to keep the batteries charged as much as possible. Next time I make the trip I don't think I will have to do that because I found I did not have to use the electric propulsion as much as I thought I would for the trip down the East River. With each cruise I am more and more confident that I made the correct choice in going electric for auxilary propulsion on board.
 
Mike
http://biankablog.blogspot.com

--- On Tue, 9/29/09, donsaxton@ymail.com <donsaxton@ymail.com> wrote:

From: donsaxton@ymail.com <donsaxton@ymail.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Repowering 40' 1975 20,000 lb sailboat
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 12:24 PM

 

Hi all,

i am a crusing sailer and i love the thought of a electric drive system.

But from what i see here it doesent sound like a electric drive system
is a effective option for my crusing life style.

i would be very intrested in any contrary opinions.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Fashion News

What's the word on

fashion and style?

Hollywood kids

in the spotlight

Their moms

share secrets

Yahoo! Groups

Small Business Group

Ask questions,

share experiences

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment