Monday, September 14, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: Hello, New to group - do I have enough data to consider con

 

Looking at the Steyr hybrid systems, they appear to be large diesel motors with a 48v 4.5 - 5 Kw auxiliary flywheel drive, similar to the hybrid systems that Honda uses in their cars. If the water cooled e-drive is bolted to the flywheel and crankshaft of the diesel as shown in their hybrid brochure, I don't know how you could operate in "silent" mode without spinning the big engine, maybe there is an additional clutch separating the two systems.

Given all that, I doubt that the turn-key hybrid option would ever drop below about $8k US added to the cost of whatever diesel engine it was attached to.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "ewdysar" <ewdysar@...> wrote:
>
> James,
>
> I don't know if any amount of interest will get the hybrid systems down to that kind of price point. My quote for a new 20hp diesel on a pallet was about $8000 by itself.
>
> Eric
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, James Sizemore <james@> wrote:
> >
> > As for myself I have enough roof space on my 41 foot cabin curser for
> > a 2kw array, The total cost for my system will run about $7000 for
> > the array and high end inverter/charger.
> > I will spend another $7000 on batteries and another $6000 for the
> > motors and controllers. Thankfully I already have 6.5 KW generator
> > that I will keep. So I'm looking at about $20,000 to re-power hybrid
> > electric with solar cells mostly for house loads. I plan on spending
> > lots of time "off the hook" so the costs work for me. I would have
> > loved to use two of the Steyr motors if they where just not so
> > unreasonably priced. As it is just one of them cost more then my
> > total expected re-power cost plus I get a "free" battery bank and
> > solar array.
> >
> > I wish some more companies would inter the marine hybrid market to
> > help drive down the insane prices. Those 250 hp Steyr hybrids would
> > start to be interesting to me at about $8000 apiece.
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Fashion News

What's the word on

fashion and style?

Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Celebrity Parents

Spotlight on Kids

Hollywood families

share stories

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment