Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] An electric cruise to and from New York and a battery question.

 

Per the similar question I had a while back Arby suggested using a good SG measurement on the acid - that works whether rested or not (per Arby)

-K

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "dennis wolfe" <dwolfe@...> wrote:
>
> Mike, You really need to wait at least an hour or so to get a stable voltage measurement that relates to state-of-charge. They will come up a little bit. Concorde says 11.9 volts = 25% state of charge so you should be OK.
>
> Denny
> www.wolfEboats.com
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Mike
> To: ELECTRIC BOATS
> Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:40 PM
> Subject: [Electric Boats] An electric cruise to and from New York and a battery question.
>
>
> I just completed a 140 mile cruise with my 30 foot sailboat Powered by a Thoosa 9000 from ASMO Marine. As I have mentioned here previously my Xantrex XBM battery monitor display became completly useless about a month after the one year warrenty ran out. Xantrex customer service was awful but, NGC Marine (whom I bought the Thoosa system from) stepped up to the plate and sent me a replacement XBM. So kudos go out to them. Unfortuntely, I did not have it in time to start this cruise.
> During the last forty mile leg the wind pretty much died and I cranked up the Honda 2000i and motor sailed the last five hours. At some point the ZIVAN NG-1 charger went to a green condition which means the battery bank was at full charge. I'm thinking this is great we are moving along at about 4 knots and the battery bank is fully charged so I motor sail for a few hours (remember my Xantrex battery monitor is not working so I have no idea how much current I'm drawing). Finally I notice that the battery pack voltage is heading down to 49 volts (on the Morningstar solar panel controller meter) and I suspect something is wrong. I unplug the Zivan charger to reset it and it goes immediately into a bulk (max current) charge cycle. Seems the charger gliched and indicated a full charge but, I was actually drawing down the battery bank for a few hours. By the time I reached my destination the 48 volt battery bank voltage measured 47.6 volts. My
> question is for the battery mavens out there is how much do you think I discharged the 48 volt battery bank from the full charge condition and was there much harm done to the batteries to the batteries in the bank?
>
> Mike
> http://biankablog.blogspot.com
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment