Friday, September 25, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: Power Consumption for Minn Kota Riptide 50 & MotorGuide 54

 

Hello Brad, my name is Arthur Wade and I am in South Australia. I have a Minn Kota 40lb Rip Tide and recently did some current draw and speed tests with this motor on my 15ft sailing dinghy. At slack water with the wind behind speeds were :- 2.7, 3.0, 3.9, 4.3, 7.0 km/hr. Current draw :- 8.9, 10.8, 14.5, 18, 32, amps. Into the wind which was blowing at approx. 20knts. Speed :- 1.3, 1.8, 2.5, 3.7, 5.3km/hr. Current draw :- 9.6, 11.5, 15.4, 19.0, 34.5, amps. Current was measured with a Fluke 87 multimeter and speed with a Garmin v GPS my battery bank consists of three 12v, 55ah. Exide deep cycle. I hope this is of some use to you. Regards, Arthur. -

-- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "cal29brad" <bradley.a.bates@...> wrote:
>
> Hello to All,
>
> I have a MotorGuide 54 that has these specifications:
>
> 12 Volts 0.34 Kwatts
>
> I also have a Minn Kota Riptide 30 with these recommendations & specification:
>
> 12 Volts
> 105 Ampere/Hour Battery
> "... your 12 volt motor with draw 1.0 ampere/hour ... for each pound of thrust produced when the motor is running on high."
>
> By my calculations these work out to:
>
> MotorGuide 54: (0.34 * 1000) / 12 = 28.33 ampere / hour
>
> Minn Kota 50: 1.0 * 50 = 50.0 ampere / hour
>
> Do those numbers look correct to all of you? The units and the pounds of thrust they produce are pretty similar, which makes me suspect the somewhat significant difference in the ampere/hour ratings.
>
> All enlightening efforts are greatly appreciated. I plan to use these two units to move a Cal29 sailboat about six to ten miles across (or down) Boca Ciega Bay to downtown St. Petersburg Florida early next week, and need to calculate what size batteries I should get. The boat is not refitted yet, so I need to jury-rig all of this, including battery locations, cabling, breakers, and so on.
>
> I have found a local firm that has what appear to be 85 amp/hr (they "rate" them thus: 205 minutes at 25 Amps each) 12 Volt deep cycle marine batteries currently on sale for about $60.00 each. Again, according to my calculations, three of those should give me either 2.5 hours (using the Minn Kota) to 4.5 hours (with the MotorGuide) of full speed motor use with about 50% battery consumption. Does that look correct?
>
> Thanks much in advance,
>
> Brad Bates
> Play Mate
> St. Petersburg, FL
> (I am dangerous with a calculator)
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment