Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: New to group, please evaluate my dual trolling motor setup

 

Hello Nick.  I'm not on the HarryProa list.  I like the HarryProa designs and I have found Rob Denny to be very helpful to me in the past when asked about his KSS process.  Still, the HP's are not Pacific Proas.  I feel the Pacific Proa has some intrinsic design advantages and that is what I hope to verify (or not!) for myself.  I hope Rob continues to have success with his designs.  At least someone is working on the ideas he has put forward.  Without experimentation, were all ultimately just chatting in our chairs.  Ultimately I will never know if what I think about Proas is true or not.  The only way for me to actually find out is to build one myself. 

Chris Curtis




---In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, <63urban@...> wrote :

Chris I think I know the answer to this but are you on the harryproa list?

Nick



Sent from my Bell Samsung device over Canada's largest network.


-------- Original message --------
From: "yahoomail@... [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 2017-01-18 2:33 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: New to group, please evaluate my dual trolling motor setup

 

Hello and I do realize the outrigger requires less power but both hulls have to be in the water at all times.  I think I'm confused by your statement, sorry for being dense.  Feel free to explain it to me so I don't miss anything.


I went with the proa because if you believe (as I do) that the proa gives you the most boat for the least amount of materials then it makes sense to continue to develop the niche.  There are large few proas in existence, and only one design is available for a pacific proa, and it is a rocketship.  My interests are cruising.  My feeling is that a proa may be the ideal cruising boat from an engineering standpoint.  But nobody (that I can see) is really investigating proas from this angle and I do feel the form has a lot going for it.   

I will checkout the Energizers you bring up from SC.  My initial desire to use T105's is just due to owning them before , so just a comfort level.  If I had more money (for this project) I'd definitely go with some more modern chemistry.   If this boat does in fact turn out to be what I expect it will be (and I retain my health) I'll build a larger version for a full time liveaboard.   I hope my wife stops working in the next 5 years.

I keep seeing the props being a speed limitation.   I'll have to keep that in mind and hopefully end up with a brand with at least some prop options.

Thanks for your interest.


Chris Curtis



---In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote :

You realize of course that you will require far less power pushing the outrigger than the main hull, right?

Any particular reason to go with the proa instead of a double outrigger banka boat type setup? A single motor, controller, bank, and solar array for just the main hull would give you more power for the dollar. I am all about going cheap. I think a single large 36v trolling motor (rated) and a 48v bank with an external PWM motor controller (the Chinese ones are very cheap) would push you along fairly well. Have a look at the Filipino Banka boats, (google that) and you might get some ideas. And the T105 is a great battery, but before you buy, ask yourself whether the presumably inferior Energizers from Sams Club at a much much lower price would be better for this project. I have a bank of 8 in series and I plan to add another 8 of them when I get home in Feb, which should reflect the high regard I have for them. The original ones are 3yo and are holding up well. These GC2 batts are a similar size, weight, and capacity to the T105s.

Search for the trolling motor prop discussions on this and other boards, too. The stock prop of a trolling motor leaves something to be desired once you start using the motor for other than its designed use. These motors were designed to efficiently push a bass boat size vessel slowly and quietly, not to serve as main propulsion of a smaller more canoe shaped hull. A larger prop with a bit more pitch is generally agreed to do a better job.

__._,_.___

Posted by: yahoomail@curtisteam.org
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (17)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment