Saturday, January 21, 2017

[Electric Boats] Could you evaluate my project?

 

Thank you for letting me join this group. It seems this is the place to go for good information.

I am designing the electrification of my sailboat, and I would love to hear what you guys think about it.
I have thought this out, only based on internet research, so some input from people who has really done this would be very welcome.


The boat is a Nordship 808, a 27 foot quite light sailboat. It has a finn-keel and a Volvo Saildrive with a Volvo Penta MD7B. The MD7B is 17 HP and way too much for the boat. They came with 8 hp from the yard when they were built, but his one has a much larger engine for some reason.

You can see data on the boat here:
NORDSHIP 808 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com (units Metric)

Be aware that the numbers are metric in this link.


I do not motor a lot, last season I used only 5 gallons of fuel. The reason for the conversion is:

- The diesel engine might not have many years left (1984 raw water cooled)

- Much less maintenance

- No diesel smell and hot engine in the cabin on hot summer days


My goal in terms of performance and range:

- A little hour of hull speed (5.6 knots)

- 4 hours of 4 knots

I live in an area with nu current and tide to speak of, and quite sheltered waters too.
This is a link to my endavours last year to give you an idea:

The site is in danish, so click the button labelled "Luk" to close the image view and see the map :-)

Sæsonen 2016



This is what I have in mind:

Motor and controller:

The 5KW kit from thunderstruck

http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/sevcon-brushless-sailboat-kit-8.5kw.html


As an alternative to this, I have come across this kit, which I like because it has a controller that can be programmed without paying a surcharge for software, but is it as good as the one above? What I like about the thunderstruck package is that all the cables are included and they have a nice video showing how to install it.

Motor-Controller Combo - Alltrax SR48300 & Motenergy ME0708 36 or 48 VDC Kit | eBay


Propulsion:

Coupled to the existing Volvo Saildrive wich has a 2.2:1 reduction. The mount and copuling is done by a mechanical engineer, and we are aware the no axial load can be put on the motor. This is no problem.

The prop is quite large (since the 17HP diesel) so I hope this will fit the electric good. (Thougts on this?)


The saildrive has reverse and I will use that. For throttle I will use the existing lever (which also controls the reverse on the saildrive), connected with the throttle-cable to a 0-5 KW potmeter with a lever arm.


Batteries:

What I have in mind here is a bank consisting of 16 CALB-100AH prismatic cells, which should give roughtly up to 100 AH at 48 volts. Of course with BMS and an appropriate charger. How does this sound related to my range goal?

In addition I will mount a 48V electric bike battery of 20 AH, which can be coupled in as a reserve for docking, if the main bank fails, or is somehow depleted. (I know this kind of battery will only deliver about 20 Amps continous, but it is only for harbour manouvers, nothing else)

Example of such a pack (I have read, I think on this forum, about a forumite who tested such a battery pack with success (for emergency purposes)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/48v-20ah-LiFePO4-Batteries-5A-Charger-BMS-Electronics-Rechargeable-Powerful-Air/142232669149?rt=nc&_soffid=5025313206&_soffType=OrderSubTotalOffer&_trksid=p5731.m3795



Charging:

Shore-power: 99 percent of my trips have overnights in a marina.






__._,_.___

Posted by: jesper@ruben-hansen.dk
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment