Tuesday, January 24, 2017

RE: [Electric Boats] lithium management question

 

An interesting question I was dealing with this fall here in Solomons MD.

I have 48 180AH LiPos in series that will be sitting for about 4 months. The manufacture stated that they should rest at 60% charge when storing for extended periods of time. When I asked what "extended periods of time " was they said sitting on the shelf for a year or more. I'm not sure I understood why that would make a difference since there wasn't any active movement within the battery and one of the sales points was the fact they didn't self discharge so I went to several people on the DIY car sites who said they hadn't seen any difference storing them for over a year fully charged (subjective since no one charges them to 100%). Even so we are talking about over a year in those cases and I was looking at 4 months. Overall I think you would be safe "storing" them for 6 months but I would be interested in hearing from others as well.

 

Steve in Solomons MD

Lagoon 410 SE

 

From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 12:32 PM
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] lithium management question

 




I'm making the move to lithium.  I'm OK with charging & BMS, and it will be a 100 AH stack.

What I would like to know is how to manage the batteries when the boat is idle for periods of time.  We tend to park the boat for three or four months in the winter.

What is the best practice when the batteries are idle for periods of time?

thanks,

John A.


--

Flatwater Electronics
www.flatwaterfarm.com
"Neurosurgery for computer looms."




__._,_.___

Posted by: "Steve" <sdolan@scannersllc.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment