Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: outfitting a sailboat

 

On the web there are converters for 48 volt to 12 volt for under 20 bucks, in smaller sizes.  I use one for dash instruments, one for interior lights, one for stereo.  Separate fuses, and wiring make locating faults easy, and you never unbalance the pack.  Had one go bad, no big deal, with other circuits it is easy to find the culprit and replace it.   I have a second circuit and back up Minn Kota and 12 volt battery, with built in charger, but the major pack can deal with lights easy.  A small generator can keep up with the back up trolling motor, so it would be difficult to lose it all.
 
Keep it running,  ----   Cal
 
 
 
 
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 10:40 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: outfitting a sailboat
 
 

Not exactly kosher but you can tap half your bank for half of your 12v loads and half of your bank for the other half and "approximately" have a balanced drain on the batts. Care must be taken to isolate the two 12v circuits from each other. "ground" from the more positive half of the bank must be isolated from actual ground, obviously. I am certain that no electrician is gonna sign off on that sort of engineering. But my approach is to have a separate 12v bank. In an emergency I can of course tap 12v from my 48v bank, and I have one automatic bilge pump tapped off the 48v bank permanently. Eventually I will probably change everything to 48v, and use a dc/dc converter for those items I cannot build or buy a 48v replacement for.

Permanently tapping just part of your bank for all your 12vdc loads is not a good idea at all, IMHO, but there are guys who do it. A separate 12v bank and charger actually is the simple way to do it, I think.

Keep your cable runs as short as possible in your propulsion system, and use big fat wire. Line losses can eat your lunch at 24v. I use 2/0 welding cable at 48v. With 24v I would be tempted to go with even bigger wire, or maybe copper bar stock if the numbers look good. 2/0 wouldn't be bad, though.

__._,_.___

Posted by: "cal" <h20dragon@centurytel.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment