Wednesday, November 18, 2015

[Electric Boats] Re: Atomic 4 Decommisioning

 

I pulled mine by myself. Jacked it up and put boards under it to skid it out into the cabin by hand. I hung the vang tackle from a halyard to hoist the motor topside, then hung a snatch block from a piling 2 slips away for an outboard pull. Set it down purty as u please on my finger pier. Then skidded it up the steps to the main pier on a couple of 2x12s. Rocked it on its side to get blocks under it, then tipped it back up onto a 4 wheel dolly and lashed it down. The proud new owner came for it the next day. First time I ever pulled an engine on a sailboat so I was pretty chuffed.

Got your motor and controller picked out yet? I am using a Kelly 500a square wave BLDC controller, a ME0913 motor, and a 48v 220ah bank of Sams club flooded lead acid golf cart batteries. I started out with a ME0201014201 but originally planned to use the ME0907. I liked the specs on the 4201 better. It is wound for slightly slower speeds. Original controller was a 300a model but I upgraded both motor and controller for better heat dissapation and hopefully more top end speed, though speed actually didn't increase much at all due to the characteristics of the batteries. I went with a Baldor 2:1 enclosed gearbox for reduction gear / thrust bearing, and currently still run the original 2 blade folding prop which is my next thing to change out. My fwd/rev and throttle are a single potentiometer mounted on my tiller. The only other user control is the master on/off switch in the engine compartment, which is simply left on all the time as current drain is very low when throttle is at stop. I still have not permanently mounted any meters or tachometer. Maybe I won't even bother.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

Check out the automatic photo album with 10 photo(s) from this topic.
IMG_2212.JPG IMG_2213.JPG IMG_2216.JPG IMG_2217.JPG IMG_2209.JPG


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment