Friday, November 6, 2015

RE: [Electric Boats] new member

 

Thanks Simon, and welcome to the forum J.

 

With nom. 214Ah lead acid at 48v, you're looking at around 10kwh 100% discharge.  Practically, you're looking at 60-70% of that, or 6-7kwh/charge.

I'd guess that your burn rate vs speed would be something like this (probably very wrong):

 

Speed   Watts    MaxTime & Range (@7kwhmax)

3kt          500         14 hrs, 42n-mi

4              900         7.8hrs, 31n-mi

5              1.8k        3.9hrs, 20n-mi

6              3.6k        2hrs, 12n-mi

7              7.2k        55min, < 7n-mi

8              15k         25min, 3.5n-mi

 

Your mileage may vary…

Speed kills range---up there in the Gulf Islands, you already know this, but you'd better be sure to time your tides J!

 

Look me up if you get down to Portland-

 

-Myles

 

P.S. – I'm running with 21kwh of lithium for my pack these days---will be 35kwh when I'm done.

Sam McKinney's Scow Barge Cruiser "The Reach Of Tide": www.evalbum.com/492

His book: http://osupress.oregonstate.edu/book/reach-of-tide-ring-of-history

 

 

 

From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 01, 2015 7:25 PM
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] new member

 

 

Thank you Myles for inviting me to join the group.

About 10 years ago I started to build a 35' steel sailboat, a Wylo II of 14,000 lbs. displacement.

I looked forward to buying and installing a sturdy diesel. Five years ago I bought a 3 cyl. 23 hp. Izuzu, lifted it in , installed the shaft and lined it up.. When it came time to hook up fuel filters, water separators, a lift pump, hot wet exhaust, etc. etc., I wanted to make it perfect, but  knew I probably couldn't and so I left the installation and went on to other things.

Then I discovered electric propulsion  and went out and bought a Thoosa 9,000 and installed it and a bank of 4 Odyssey PC 1800 FT, 214Ah batteries.

I just launched the boat last month and only have experience of motoring around the marina.

I am impressed and so are many other people. The big question for most people is "But how far can you motor?".. I admit, it's a bit of a question for me too.

The boat's name is Saltarelle and I'll open an album and post some photos.

Very much  looking forward to sharing experiences.

Simon  Gabbott on Gabriola Island, west coast of Canada

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Myles Twete" <matwete@comcast.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (19)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment