Thursday, November 5, 2015

Re: [Electric Boats] Need source for 48v. panel controller and panels-- my next step !

 

Hi, myles, nope all is well in EV land.  I decided that for lack of wanting a full size cover, windage, cleaning, etc., I get more bang for the buck with a second battery pack, I can do that 48 v. for about $200. plus the wiring that I have here.   If I get a bad batt., like did happen twice now, I just exchange it under warranty (or not!) with my friends outlet.  Pack solved, at least that part I hope.
 
Now I have had for years a great little 400 watt mini Honda gen., 4 stroke of course and darn near zero noise.  That resides in a closed vented compartment, with more sound proofing (coming soon) and will be hooked into a 6 amp or so lighter weight 48 volt charger.  Charge A pack while on B pack.  Takes a while, but that means a full charge overnight on a quart of gas, and it runs out about the time a pack would be refilled, by my estimate.  Charge rate for 400 watts and 48 volts looks like about 7.59 amps, from the web figures.  Safely then, say 6 amps. would do that.   I could also run one pack while charging the other, and mostly expect darn decent run times if I don't push it !!!   The big charger, and long term cycling units stay safely at home that way, out of weather etc.
 
New cupped prop is a 12.5 dia., by 12 pitch, as big as I dared on that lower unit, which is now rebuilt, and ready to rock.   The larger prop pressure, and lower rpm will maybe lower the lower unit noise I have (had?) by keeping the rpms lower.  I am adding a oversized, and longer SS lower unit skeg to protect that prop, thanks to I—Boats, and all their help getting the right rebuild kit, right prop and good advice .   At E boat speeds,  good skegs are a safety factor for river travel, not so much added drag, and no welding.
 
Trying to substitute time and experimenting for cash, I found 24 Oregon waters that do allow electric, NO GAS POWER allowed, so looking forward to some quiet waters I can trailer to, boat into the wilds, and have a decent camper too.  Sold my slide on camper, so the boat with full cover is the alternative, worked great at Lon's place and loon Lake.
 
Thanks, see you later,  Cal
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

__._,_.___

Posted by: "cal" <h20dragon@centurytel.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (21)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment