Sunday, April 20, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] Replacing Atomic with 0907 on the cheap, from scratch

 

I want to say that I really admire the guys who go on their own and build their own systems.  You are doing something that I was not comfortable with doing.  I have personally installed over 40 systems and will tell you that I am glad that I know and work with propulsion engineers.  I am a pretty bright guy and learned quickly, but what I did not know about designing, programing, engineering, and installing a marine propulsion system was a great deal.  There is a difference in pushing a boat than pushing a car or bike.  I also understand the issue of being under a budget constraint. 
Now for the But.
If your criteria is doing it inexpensively and you do not appreciate the issues of driving a boat with an electric motor, why are you doing it?  I have been approached weekly by guys who did their best and do not have "workable systems".  All the marine propulsion vendors can push the boats we are dealing with at or close to hull speed and without "overheating", with good control, and do so safely.  Buying motor parts on line does not necessary mean you have a workable reliable safe efficient and effective system.  And it likely will not be less expensive if it does not work well and if you end up retrofitting it trying and still may be unable to make it work properly.
Every marine vendor who visit this website can push a boat with authority.  Do so at a reasonable cost.  And warranty their work - Elco, ElectroProp, EClean Marine, MasterVolt and Electric Yacht. 
No motor should overheat if it is engineered correctly.  Gear it properly.  Have the correct heat management in the design.  Have a rigid strong frame that is easy to align and work efficiently with an appropriate propeller.  If you can not do that on your own, use a marine vendor who can.  If you still can not do it, why not just sail or use an outboard? 
I do not want to sound like a vendor who is trolling for business, but if you put yourself in a position to fail, you likely will.  Maybe I am off base on this but I have talked to some pretty disappointed sailors who had great expectations and little to show for their efforts or money.
Mike
Electric Yacht of Southern California

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment