Monday, April 21, 2014

RE: [Electric Boats] Power Supply Backfeed

 

For sure when you connect a power supply to your pack you will get high inrush current due to the large output capacitors.  You see a spark if you apply a 12 chargers unpowered output to an auto battery.


Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone


-------- Original message --------
From: luke.wolbrink@gmail.com
Date:04/21/2014 9:49 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] Power Supply Backfeed

 

Hello all,


I was finishing up some connections on my homebrewed 5kw system for a sailboat. A a precaution I've installed a 1000w 48v power supply that will operate from a generator in the event that my batteries get low. While I was hooking everthing together I noticed that when the power supply was off and hooked into the positive and negative busses properly as soon as I touched the negative wire from a battery to the negative terminal I would get a big-spark. I've since disconnected the power supply to avoid any short circuit issues with the batteries. I checked voltage at the power supply and read 0v when off and 48v when on, with no arcing when it was operating, only when off was there an issue.

Any ideas on what is going on? Likewise, what can I do short of installing a switch to connect and disconnect the power supply when not needed can I do to alleviate the issue?


Thanks,
~luke

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment