Thursday, April 3, 2014

[Electric Boats] Replacing Atomic with 0907 on the cheap, from scratch

 

I have a 1976 built Cal 2-27 sloop with a running but aging Atomic 4 in it. Fuel tank has a small leak, and I can't pull the fuel tank without pulling the engine, and I have been thinking about going electro anyway. I considered the 0913 but a 6th outboard pushes the boat at hull speed so I don't really need the big motor, and the 0907 is a lot cheaper, especially when you factor in the smaller controller. I will be going with a 48v bank. Either 8Ds or 6 golf cart batts. Later I will add a wind gen and solar but for now it's shore power charging so I need a nice big bank and the 8Ds would give me reasonable capacity. Currently I have a folding 3 blade but I will be trying a couple of different fixed props in the future to get some modest regeneration capability. I am getting the controller kit from Kelly. Motor and thrust bearing plates will be .125 steel with angle iron frame and buttresses mounted to the original motor mounts. The driven pulley and thrust bearing will mount directly to the prop shaft and the adjustable frame will provide alignment. What I haven't completely worked out is the belt drive. I have a 4 bolt flange mount thrust bearing picked out but still undecided on pulley and belt. The shaft of the motor is kinda short. I was thinking a 3 groove pulley pair with "B" vee belts. I can replace those belts cheaply at auto zone or most full service gas stations, or even walmart. Timing belts are not as easy to come by in odd sizes. So has anybody done a setup with 3 groove B pulleys on this motor? Any suggestions? McMaster Carr has some that fit on a QD bushing but it looks like the motor shift isn't long enough to carry all the way through the bushing and pulley. Maybe that is not a problem? I am really trying to go cheap but without giving up regeneration and brushless operation. Sure i could go with a plain DC motor but the next owner might want to cook on propane or run a gasoline portable genny or something so the couple hundred more for the brushless setup is kinda essential. Thunderstruck has a prefab reduction gear for $660 but I think I can beat that with homebrew, and even with the prefab unit I would be doing a bit of building to harness the push of the prop to the hull of the boat, so no major advantage there. I want to end up with something that looks practical for when/if I sell or upgrade. So the B belts are my first choice and while I might go with 2 belts, 3 would look, and be, more robust. I am really hoping someone here has done what I am planning and has some advice borne out of actual experience. I have had enough armchair engineers "help" me already.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment