Monday, April 14, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Propane generators

 

Me too Mike, re fuesl reappraisal. I think having an electric boat is an ideal candidate for induction cooking.

Having said that I chose bio-ethanol (or the non drinking variety meths here in UK) for cooking. It's a standalone and portable system and any fire can be put out with plain water. I store the easily portable 500ml bottles in the old vented to sea gas locker, which also houses my 9l Eberspecher fuel tank for heating. I could use bio-diesel but it is not readily available at marinas. Ease of transport to fill is simply a 5l diesel jerry can. Meths has a pretty good calorific value btw.

I also now have a 1kW Honda portable petrol genny which will be permanently fixed on deck. Of course now that introduces a new fuel, but once again I keep a 5l jerry can of petrol in the vented to sea old gas locker. As the petrol, diesel and meths is all in one vented to sea locker at the aft most end of the boat, I'm happy with that for safety. I may keep the 5l petrol can on deck if there is a sensible place to put it.
Other than that I have the MCA standards of coding for fire fighting aboard inc an auto extinguisher in the electric engine bay.

The bottom line is I guess you can't beat the bank for your buck in terms of weight, portability and volume of fossil type fuels.

Having said all that, roll on the day when solar is built into our sails and hopefully any or all of the above can be dispensed with. Personally as I run an excellent Lycn brush motor, I simply wouldn't have gas (propane to many of you) on board.
John

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (33)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment