Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Building a lithium bank [1 Attachment]

James,
Having a BMS, especially on a boat, is probably not all that necessary. I draw about 0.5C max. and my Torqeedo motor controller keeps track of the state of charge, remaining mileage, pack voltage, etc. Also, the Elcon charger controls the rate of charge. My BMS is my belt and suspenders caution. If I did not have a BMS, I would occasionally check the individual cell voltages. I initially used a variable voltage power supply to balance the pack. Once that was done, they stayed quite close through several charge discharge cycles.
When I reinstall the pack in my new runabout, I will probably leave off the BMS until I gain some experience. If I find I have reason to worry, I'll wire it in.
Ned

No comments:

Post a Comment