Tuesday, April 24, 2012

[Electric Boats] Re: Conversion kit

 

Hello Robert,
As a disclosure, I am a dealer for Electric Yachts on the West Coast. I would like to help you with your problems but am not sure I can as you are so far down the current project. You are not the first person who has asked for help from this position. I do know people in California that may be able to help you. From my experience with other partial installs, you will be spending a significant amount of money to complete the job to get the missing parts and people with the knowledge to finish the project.

My real interest is to state up front that I hope others will recognize that it is not a plug and play solution if items that need to be plugged in are not included and if the propulsion engineering is not done with clear instructions.

As Eric clearly says, there is much missing in the "package systems" sold by the electric motorcycle suppliers that are needed to make a successful install. I will not address sales support issues, but they have given you 4 motors! I do know that the engineering and technical support that is provided by companies with marine propulsion experience and expertise is critical for a successful installation. Either you or the supplier needs to be able to know the issues of marine propulsion which are quite different from over the road systems.

Mike
Electric Yachts of Southern California
mike@electricyachtssocal.com

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been getting good technical support from your vendor. I know that these low priced "kits" look like a good deal, especially when the vendor write's "Electric drive systems of this power usually cost $x,xxx and up, but this *pre-assembled kit makes it affordable at about a third of the cost. Unfortunately, there's no free lunch.
>
> Building a reliable marine drive more than slapping a few components together. It sounds like EMS tossed some parts in a box and left it to you to figure out the rest. If you had already converted a few boats, this might be all that you need. But for a first conversion, I don't believe that that is enough.
>
> There are many conversions in this group running Motenergy PMAC motors, but most new kits use the ME0913 (28 turns/phase versus your 12 turn motor). The Sevcon Gen4 is the leading controller, but it will need to programmed to drive your motor correctly. I would believe it if it turned out to not be configured correctly.
>
> There are a few respected vendors that participate in this group, the
> four that participate here regularly are (in alphabetical order) Advanced Marine electric Propulsion, Annapolis Hybrid Marine (seller of ASMO drives), Electric Yacht, and Propulsion Marine. They all sell excellent products, however, they are the $x,xxx systems that EMS referred to. Their systems are truly "plug and play", unlike yours. These vendors spend time before and after after your purchase, making sure that you get back on the water as quickly as possible. These systems are also optimized for auxiliary propulsion, they deliver reliable, efficient performance. Personally, I chose Propulsion Marine in Santa Barbara when I converted my Cheoy Lee Bermuda 30, I couldn't be happier with the quality of the product and the vendor support. I hooked up my system and it worked perfectly the first time.
>
> I know that this isn't much help now, but if you had found this group before you committed, you might have been able to avoid the trouble that you've gone through so far.
>
> Since the kit that EMS sells doesn't have things like the reduction system (belts and pulleys, or gearbox, or chaindrive, or ...) that these motors need to work effectively, can you describe your boat and what parts that you've got in it so far? The group might be able to provide more help with more information.
>
> Eric
> Marina del Rey, CA
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "robert" <bobnichols55@> wrote:
> >
> > I recently purchased a Pma motor sailboat drive kit from Electric Motor Sport . I have have had nothing but trouble from this kit . I do not know what Todd Kollin was on when he buil his kit . It was a plug and play kit. This kit contains a Mars M1012 pma motor and a Sevcon Gen4 Controller . After 4 months of this Plug and Play kit , I am on the 4th motor rom Motengery . Todd Kollin would not talk to me after the second motor . I received no paper work or any instruction from Electric Motor Sports. Now I am getting realy desprite About getting this thig going . Could anyone please give me some advice on what to do next . This kit is made up of great products but nothing works and now I have to much in it to go back to Deisel. This is my first post of any form.
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment