Monday, January 25, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Update: My conclusion

 

Pat,
 
After all the bad publicity recently about Kevin Plank from Re E power disappointing people it's good to hear such a positive report about ePower Marine in Florida.  Torqeedo is a big well financed company with the tech resources to make stuff that works. and stand behind it if there is a problem
 
Denny
 
----- Original Message -----
From: greenpjs04
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2010 7:05 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Update: My conclusion

 



--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "greenpjs04" <greenpjs@...> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
> I have been lurking here for a few months now and have learned a great deal from all of you. Thank you! I now realize my project is much simpler than what all you sailors have to deal with when using electric motors in open waters. I have a 24' pontoon boat that is exclusively used on a chain of small inland lakes here in northeastern Ohio. The boat currently has a 10 year old 40 hp Mercury 4 stroke outboard. While I occassionally open up the throttle in the speed/ski zone, most of time is spent a little above idle puttering around the lakes. The Mercury is now getting finicky. It is hard to start if it hasn't been used for a week and vibrates at low speeds (which is 99% of the time). I want to change to an electric motor which is why I subscribed to this group.
>
> I seldomly need to worry about high winds. I never have to worry about currents. Battery weight has very little impact. Even safety isn't an issue since even though I can take a 17 mile trip around the shoreline of these canal-connected lakes, I am never more than 1/4 mile from shore and am usually within 50 feet of shore. My conclusion is a Torqeedo 4.0R with four 12 volt deep cycle marine batteries would easily meet my needs. Does anyone have a better idea or disagree with my conclusion?
>
> Thanks,
> Pat
>
It's been a little of a month since I posted the above message. Thanks to all who responded either here in the group or via private email. I ended up ordering the Torqeedo 4.0R, four group 31 AGM batteries, and a quad charger from Pro Chargers. I want to especially thanks Todd Simms from ePower Marine in Florida. He patiently answered all my questions, gave me a good deal on the whole package, and delivered everything on or ahead of schedule. He even tracked the shipments and let me know when each one would arrive (most items were drop shipped).

However, there was one thing he couldn't accomplish. Does anyone know how to change the climate here in Ohio such that I can start upgrading the boat in January? The boat is in storage until at least mid April and the lakes are frozen over :( Come on spring!

Pat


__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment