Friday, January 29, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] solar canal rambling

 

Ned:
 
I've not found anything better than the Honda 2000 and yes the ac from it is very clean. I have a Zivan NG-1 48 volt connected to it which puts out somewhere about 16 amps. I could probably get away with a Honda 1000 but, as you noted it would be cutting it a little close powerwise. So I operate the Honda 2000 in eco mode which saves fuel and is pretty quiet. I can also operate the ice maker at the same time. It's working for me but, I always keep my eyes out for improvements in technology. Right now the limiting factor is the amp output of the charger. But, I am not complaining just wishing for another 9 or 10 amps at some point.
 
Capt. Mike
http://biankablog.blogspot.com 

--- On Fri, 1/29/10, Ned Farinholt <nedfarinholt@comcast.net> wrote:

From: Ned Farinholt <nedfarinholt@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] solar canal rambling
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, January 29, 2010, 2:54 PM

 
Capt. Mike,
I am planning a similar backup with a Honda generator. I was surprised to find that the on-board chargers, in general, are so inefficient. Minn-kota's MK 460, a four bank, 15 amp charger is the best I have found, so far. They told me it draws 8 amps at 120v ac and the ac must be sinusoidal, which I think the Honda EU series is. This means 960 watts in and 750 watts out, about 78% efficiency. Other vendors were more in the range of 60%. I was hoping to use the Honda EU1000 (for size and weight) but that looks like it will be calling it too close. I would think that with today's technology, we should be able to get closer to 90%. Did you find anything better? I will be charging a series of eight 6 volt wet cells. 
Ned


On Jan 29, 2010, at 9:22 AM, Mike wrote:

 
Hardy:
 
I would recommend having a Honda 2000 eu (or similar) generator onboard to at least bulk charge the batteries. It is a great backup for when solar falls short of the boats needs. Or you really don't want to spend time at a Marina plugged in. It is a workhorse. It is is small,  lightweight and relatively quiet. I use it onboard to bulk charge the battery bank and power a small ice maker at the same time. I do like a nice "boat drink" at anchor sometimes. <g> Only use it when I need to but, it is a nice backup to have onboard,  
Capt. Mike
http://biankablog. blogspot. com
--- On Fri, 1/29/10, hardy71uk <p0054107@brookes.ac.uk> wrote:

From: hardy71uk <p0054107@brookes.ac.uk>
Subject: [Electric Boats] solar canal rambling
To: electricboats@ yahoogroups. com
Date: Friday, January 29, 2010, 12:44 PM

 
theres an extensive canal network here in UK. I've often thought it would be great to do a leuisurely trip . stopping for a while to explore an area whilst charging batteries from solar panels and then moving on. The problem would seem to be that if charging over say a week or two that the batteries would most of the time be only partly charged . Is this a fast way to kill lead acid batteries or would a slow charge resist sulphation?
I'm guessing that a better regime would be to just do a few miles per day using a small depth of charge. Any comments?


__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment