Sunday, January 17, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Boat for sale w/ bad engine

 

Thanks for the reply, Skip. No bidders yet so maybe there is a price point considering the following issues:

"The standing rigging is in great shape with Profurl roller furling, some of the halyards need to be replaced, she needs a new jib, the main and the mizzen are in fair shape, but if your looking to go long range should be replaced as well..
Ground tackle: 1 CQR, 1 Bruce, and a large Fortress for a storm anchor with rode and chain.
She has hydraulic steering, no navigation equipment, there is a forward and aft a/c unit, the forward unit needs servicing.
All DC systems are functional, but needs new house batteries, there is a Westerbeke gen-set, the main engine (yammar) is seized up, (will install brand-new w/ warranty Westerbeke with gear for an additional 15,000). She has brand new V-berth, settee, and dinette cushions. Water damage to base board on the interior teak, a good day of light sanding and re-staining will fix water mark, winter storage is paid in full till April, she is a very sound and strong yacht looking to go cruising all she needs is a captain!!"

I suppose I need to get more background on sailboat appraisals and don't think my experience w/ a 19' Flying Scott is enough.

To add a bit of recompense for this post slightly off-topic, there is interesting development in the overunity front. This will address the battery capacity problem. Definitive results by end of January.

Kurt

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Skip von Niederinghausen <farharbour@...> wrote:
>
> Dude,
>
> I would stay away from this deal. A boat that old with a wrecked
> diesel is a red flag for other forms of neglect...i.e. how are the
> ancillary power systems, lighting, navigation equipment etc? Has the
> rigging been inspected recently... what do the sails look like... until
> you can answer that question the number of bodies buried in a boat
> that old and neglected. The real cost to get it seaworthy might be a lot
> more that a sound currently operating boat that has a recent inspection.
>
> Skip
>
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Kurt <citzonpatrol@...> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > I saw a boat for sale in my area, a 1980 Morgan Out Islander 41 with a
> > frozen diesel engine. The owner is asking $15K to replace the engine. I knew
> > about the advancements in electric engines, did research, just joined in
> > this group and browsed some discussions. I then briefly ran the numbers and
> > if I were to buy the boat for $19K asking price, I would put in about $20K
> > for an electric motor w/ batteries and controllers. Then I'd have to drop in
> > some for a front fore a/c unit, navigation, and other odds and ends
> >
> > It is really tempting to get a sailboat in pretty good condition for a
> > fraction of its original worth, but I wish I could take on this endeavor w/
> > someone else, esp. one w/ boating experience. The logistics of owning and
> > operating a boat is a bit much for me to handle by myself, but I can see
> > myself diving into this with assistance.
> >
> > Anybody who lives in the DC metro area, you can contact me and we can chat.
> > The boat is on dry land until April and the auction ends in about 2 days.
> >
> > Kurt
> >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment