Sunday, January 17, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Boat for sale w/ bad engine

 

I presume you have done a careful survey yourself. I always go with a nay say friend and ask him/her to look for the flaws. In looking at photos of another 41 I recommend you carefully check every inch where the deck mold connects to the hull mold that is often hidden behind the rub rail. And don't go with a partner on this deal unless you are married to him/her. I never heard of a successful partnership.

Sounds like a promising opportunity at $12k. Put cash in a paper bag and see the owner and close the deal. Cash in hand sometimes works wonders to lower the price. And of course don't be afraid to walk away if anything bothers you.

My 2 cents,

Steve,
former ship yard worker

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Kurt <citzonpatrol@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

Thanks for the reply, Skip. No bidders yet so maybe there is a price point considering the following issues:

"The standing rigging is in great shape with Profurl roller furling, some of the halyards need to be replaced, she needs a new jib, the main and the mizzen are in fair shape, but if your looking to go long range should be replaced as well..
Ground tackle: 1 CQR, 1 Bruce, and a large Fortress for a storm anchor with rode and chain.
She has hydraulic steering, no navigation equipment, there is a forward and aft a/c unit, the forward unit needs servicing.
All DC systems are functional, but needs new house batteries, there is a Westerbeke gen-set, the main engine (yammar) is seized up, (will install brand-new w/ warranty Westerbeke with gear for an additional 15,000). She has brand new V-berth, settee, and dinette cushions. Water damage to base board on the interior teak, a good day of light sanding and re-staining will fix water mark, winter storage is paid in full till April, she is a very sound and strong yacht looking to go cruising all she needs is a captain!!"

I suppose I need to get more background on sailboat appraisals and don't think my experience w/ a 19' Flying Scott is enough.

To add a bit of recompense for this post slightly off-topic, there is interesting development in the overunity front. This will address the battery capacity problem. Definitive results by end of January.

Kurt



--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Skip von Niederinghausen <farharbour@...> wrote:
>
> Dude,
>
> I would stay away from this deal. A boat that old with a wrecked
> diesel is a red flag for other forms of neglect...i.e. how are the
> ancillary power systems, lighting, navigation equipment etc? Has the
> rigging been inspected recently... what do the sails look like... until
> you can answer that question the number of bodies buried in a boat
> that old and neglected. The real cost to get it seaworthy might be a lot
> more that a sound currently operating boat that has a recent inspection.
>
> Skip
>
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Kurt <citzonpatrol@...> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > I saw a boat for sale in my area, a 1980 Morgan Out Islander 41 with a
> > frozen diesel engine. The owner is asking $15K to replace the engine. I knew
> > about the advancements in electric engines, did research, just joined in
> > this group and browsed some discussions. I then briefly ran the numbers and
> > if I were to buy the boat for $19K asking price, I would put in about $20K
> > for an electric motor w/ batteries and controllers. Then I'd have to drop in
> > some for a front fore a/c unit, navigation, and other odds and ends
> >
> > It is really tempting to get a sailboat in pretty good condition for a
> > fraction of its original worth, but I wish I could take on this endeavor w/
> > someone else, esp. one w/ boating experience. The logistics of owning and
> > operating a boat is a bit much for me to handle by myself, but I can see
> > myself diving into this with assistance.
> >
> > Anybody who lives in the DC metro area, you can contact me and we can chat.
> > The boat is on dry land until April and the auction ends in about 2 days.
> >
> > Kurt
> >
> >
> >
>


__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment