Saturday, January 9, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: New to the group, interested in converting 25ft launch from diesel to electr

 

Barney,
 
I'd combine the batteries into one pack - you will get more useful energy storage that way (see peukert effect).  You can both charge and draw from a pack at the same time. The bank sees the net current, ether plus or minus.
 
Denny
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2010 4:29 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: New to the group, interested in converting 25ft launch from diesel to electr

 

Many thanks for the replies.

My thoughts have progressed to the following, and i would be very interested in what people think:

I have figured that my boat needs almost exactly 5Kw to push it through the water at hull speed (6.5 knots), which is roughly 1 hour's travel with a 200ah 48v set up (discharging the batteries 50%). For 95% of my travels 4 - 5 knots will be ample, which drops down my power requirements to about 3Kw (in ideal conditions). I would plan to recharge using a Honda EU20i generator, which I could run simultaneously with the electric motor, and would slow my discharge rate by approximately 1.5Kw.

My battery set up would be two packs of four batteries (12v x 200ah), which I could over time increase to three battery packs. With a three battery pack setup, I should go close to recharging one pack as the pack in use runs out of juice - again depending on the conditions.

My choice of motor at this stage looks like either the Mars brushless, or the PMG132 would suit my purpose fairly well.

Interested to hear people's thoughts, and any suggestions welcome.

Barney

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "ebdrives" <jayceray@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "barnabyrands" <barnabyrands@> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "ebdrives" <jayceray@> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "barnabyrands" <barnabyrands@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hello all, lots of fascinating information on this group site!
> > > >
> > > > I have a 7.6 metre timber launch that I've just finished restoring, and I have put a 26Kw diesel in it, which pushes the boat past hull speed comfortably. Unfortunately, its extremely noisy, and after spending three months redesigning and building a new engine enclosure, its still far too noisy.
> > > >
> > > > So, I'm seriously considering selling the diesel and converting to an inboard electric system.
> > > >
> > > > I have lots and lots of questions, and thought it might be useful to ask to be pointed in the direction of some posts / case studies of people with similar projects. Any suggestions and considerations would also be very welcome.
> > > >
> > > > The details of the boat are:
> > > > 7.6m LOA, approx 7m LWL
> > > > Max WL beam = 2m
> > > > Displacement = approx 3000kg
> > > > I estimate that 10 kilowatts is what the hull form needs to be driven to hull speed (hence a 26Kw engine running at 60% capacity at present)
> > > >
> > > > The boat is currently sitting above its lines, so weight for batteries is not a concern - especially after the diesel is removed.
> > > >
> > > > Very interested in any suggestions people may have for me.
> > > >
> > > > Barney
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Hello Barney,
> > >
> > > I can maybe help by passing on information and data from my boat conversion from last year. My powerboat is 26'long with a 9' beam and 5,200 lbs. I installed a 5KW BLDC 48Volt motor, 100Amp Controller and a 3:1 reducer and she goes along at a little over 5 MPH running at 50 amps of current. I installed two battery packs (48 volt x 100 AH) and run the boat off one battery pack at a time. For the speed control I put in a Merritt Joystick which also gives me forward and reverse. I also installed a Converter to take off 12Volts for the lights, bilge pump, key switch, etc. I was happy with the performance of the boat except I would like more power and speed. Also, consider a water cooled or forced air cooled motor because with an inboard motor installation you may need to cool the motor. I hope this is helpful.
> > >
> > > ebdrives
> > >
> > Thanks very much for that. It sounds like our boats are very similar in size. Sounds like you have a nice setup, but I have to agree with you - it would be nice to have the option to exceed 5MPH if required. What about your stern gland? And were you able to use your existing propeller?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Barney
> >
>
> My electric boat drive attaches to the existing 1" diameter shaft and 15" diameter propellor. Let me know if you need any help with your electric conversion. No charge...
>
> ebdrives
> ebdrives
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment