Friday, January 29, 2010

[Electric Boats] Dedicated start battery questions

 

My Electric Lagoon 410 has 3 "house" batteries along with its massive 144v bank. The Genset (16kw)start and windloss are also attached to this house bank. Both the Genset and the windloss are in the bow compartments and the house bank is in the stern, about 20' away. When starting the Genset I momentarily loose power to the NAV equipment which I know isn't good for the equipment. I may have an issue with the house batteries, I'm not sure how old they are and haven't had time this winter to test them. My thinking here is to add a Genset/windloss battery at the genset to run off the Alternator which I also am not sure what it's charging since the house bank has a 144v/12/ converter/charger to them and I don't see anyway the alternator is connected to the bank (still working on the wiring diagrams). My other problem is I don't have a good flat mounting pont at the Genset to mount a battery. So the questions are:
Is one 12v 90AH battery enough for the 2 devices?
Can the genset Alternator handle the load (75a)of typical windloss?
Can I just wire the Windloss to the battery through its relay?
I guess I'm going to have to build a shelf for the battery, mount it in a box and strap it down?
Since it's a genset can the block be used as a ground for the battery?

Thanks for any input!

Steve in Solomons MD

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment