Wednesday, February 3, 2016

[Electric Boats] Re: using a 36 Volt dc motor from a 48 volt pack

 

Sure.  Overvolting most DC motors by a modest amount usually won't cause a catastrophic failure, though it might reduce lifespan of the motor through degradation of the coil insulation. Not covered, is overvolting, by warranty. You should have a temp sensor installed and an overtemp shutdown system. I know my cheapie Kelly controller shuts down at a certain temp if I enable it and connect a thermistor, which I haven't by the way but should. If the motor is not exceeding max operating temp you are good to go. Just in case, you might want to have a spare motor. No biggie because usually the motor is the cheapest component. My controller cost twice what my motor cost. My battery bank cost almost 3x what my motor cost. Even my reduction gear cost more than my motor. So, I have two of them. Three, actually, since I bought a 12kw motor to play around with. My regular motor is 5kw. Anyway, as long as you take proper precautions I don't see a problem. And with a spare motor you are set for any uh-oh moments.

BTW, this opinion is guaranteed to be worth a minimum of what you paid for it. IOW, YMMV. But FWIW, I will be doing exactly the same thing with my trolling motor powered pirogue, running off a Chinese 48v PWM controller and 48v lithium e-bike battery. The trolling motor is 12v, actually. I don't think it will be a problem. If it is, I burn up a $130 trolling motor and have to paddle back to the boat. Obviously I will not be running it at full available power from the controller, but it should work okay.

Is your motor brushed, or brushless?

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment