Tuesday, February 16, 2016

[Electric Boats] Re: battery bank question

 

Hi Philip (w/Tartan 30),
I recently (Aug 2015) removed the Atomic 4 from my C&C 33-1 and replaced it with an Electroprop system. I did all of the installation myself (on weekends) and it took awhile.
I am very happy with the result.
A critical (to me) initial decision was where to put the batteries. My A4 had a V-drive, so a simple solution would have been to mount an electric motor with pulleys on the A4 engine stringers - but that left no room for a battery bank in the space the A4 occupied so I opted for an Electroprop Racer system. This has a "direct" drive train and as such, it protrudes ~12" extra into the cabin. I'm very happy with the compromise. An extended bottom step of the companionway stairs completely covers the intrusion - and leaves openings for motor cooling.
So, I have three of the four 150 lb, 12V, 210 Ah AGM batteries sitting directly atop the A4's stringers. The fourth battery is aft, on the platform that had the A4's waterlift muffler. What's a waterlift muffler?  LOL
As for prop selection, with electric propulsion, bigger is better. My initial sea trials have been with the original 2-bladed, fixed 16X10 prop but I am going to be trying a 4-bladed alternate prop soon. Stay tuned for performance data.
Cheers,
Bob Moriarty

 

__._,_.___

Posted by: moriartybob@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment